Has any larger country ever had an openly homosexual head of state?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Philip II Duke of Orleans was his son and later became a Regent of France during the minority of Louis XV.

Louis Philippe I was also his descendant.
Yeah, the Orleanist French royal claimants nowadays descend from Philippe I, Duke of Orleans in the male line. The Orleanist claim was also embraced by a lot of the supporters of Henri, Count of Chambord after his death in 1883--though some of his supporters instead moved to support the Spanish Bourbons as the legitimate claimants to the French throne.

"He" was a trans woman. So, "he" certainly wasn't gay due to "his" exhibition of interest in men. (I'm not sure about in women.)

FTR, I'm using male pronouns because that is how "he" was viewed by contemporaries and throughout most of history. However, given Cassius Dio's writings about how Elagabalus wanted a vagina and female genitalia, I think that it's very safe to assume that Elagabalus was actually a trans woman.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I think Phillipe was bisexual, he had a wife and children.
He stopped having sex with his wife and with any women at all after he produced a legitimate male heir, though. After that point, he and his wife continuously slept in separate beds. Thus, Yes, he was gay but nevertheless willing to succumb to the pressure to procreate in order to produce a surviving male heir.

Similar History Discussions