Has any larger country ever had an openly homosexual head of state?

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania

"He" was a trans woman. So, "he" certainly wasn't gay due to "his" exhibition of interest in men. (I'm not sure about in women.)

FTR, I'm using male pronouns because that is how "he" was viewed by contemporaries and throughout most of history. However, given Cassius Dio's writings about how Elagabalus wanted a vagina and female genitalia, I think that it's very safe to assume that Elagabalus was actually a trans woman.
Considering the age of Elagabalus for most of Elagabulus's reign, to say nothing of for most of Elagabulus's life, it seems more accurate to describe Elagabalus as a gay boy instead of a gay man, or as a trans girl instead of as a trans woman.

Jul 2016
USA
He stopped having sex with his wife and with any women at all after he produced a legitimate male heir, though. After that point, he and his wife continuously slept in separate beds. Thus, Yes, he was gay but nevertheless willing to succumb to the pressure to procreate in order to produce a surviving male heir.
Didn't most upper class sleep in different rooms than their wives at the time?

Sep 2016
Georgia
He might have been bisexual--and even then, probably not openly so:

Henry III of France - Wikipedia
I mean, you would really struggle to find openly gay monarch in Europe. In the sense that what we now understand as ,, openly gay ''.

Henry III still had famous ,, Les Mignons ''. The mignons were frivolous and fashionable young men, to whom public malignity attributed heterodox sexuality. According to the contemporary chronicler Pierre de l'Estoile, they made themselves "exceedingly odious, as much by their foolish and haughty demeanour, as by their effeminate and immodest dress, but above all by the immense gifts the king made to them."
,, The name Mignons began, at this time, to travel by word of mouth through the people, to whom they were very odious, as much for their ways which were jesting and haughty as for their paint [make-up] and effeminate and unchaste apparel...Their occupations are gambling, blaspheming... fornicating and following the King everywhere...seeking to please him in everything they do and say, caring little for God or virtue, contenting themselves to be in the good graces of their master, whom they fear and honor more than God."
L'Éstoile adds : "they wear their hair long, curled and recurled by artifice, with little bonnets of velvet on top of it like whores in the brothels ''

Duel of the Mignons in 1578 was one of the most famous duels in European history and left a big impression on French public at that time. It is also one of my favorite moments in all of Alexandre Dumas novels.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I mean, you would really struggle to find openly gay monarch in Europe. In the sense that what we now understand as ,, openly gay ''.

Henry III still had famous ,, Les Mignons ''. The mignons were frivolous and fashionable young men, to whom public malignity attributed heterodox sexuality. According to the contemporary chronicler Pierre de l'Estoile, they made themselves "exceedingly odious, as much by their foolish and haughty demeanour, as by their effeminate and immodest dress, but above all by the immense gifts the king made to them."
,, The name Mignons began, at this time, to travel by word of mouth through the people, to whom they were very odious, as much for their ways which were jesting and haughty as for their paint [make-up] and effeminate and unchaste apparel...Their occupations are gambling, blaspheming... fornicating and following the King everywhere...seeking to please him in everything they do and say, caring little for God or virtue, contenting themselves to be in the good graces of their master, whom they fear and honor more than God."
L'Éstoile adds : "they wear their hair long, curled and recurled by artifice, with little bonnets of velvet on top of it like whores in the brothels ''

Duel of the Mignons in 1578 was one of the most famous duels in European history and left a big impression on French public at that time. It is also one of my favorite moments in all of Alexandre Dumas novels.
So, basically, the Mignons were into domination fantasies with King Henry III being the Dominator/Boss/Master. Makes sense.

Hott. ;)

Sep 2016
Georgia
Didn't most upper class sleep in different rooms than their wives at the time?
There was still high child mortality even amongst Nobility. Louis XIV actually had 6 legitimate children, but only 1 managed to survive and make it into adulthood. Not trying to produce another child and potential heir was very irresponsible. Philip himself had a son, who died at 2 years old. Philip II was only his second son.

However, Philip I still produced another child even after the birth of his second son. Élisabeth Charlotte d'Orléans was born in 1676. She will marry Leopold, Duke of Lorraine.

Similar History Discussions