Has any larger country ever had an openly homosexual head of state?

"He" was a trans woman. So, "he" certainly wasn't gay due to "his" exhibition of interest in men. (I'm not sure about in women.)

FTR, I'm using male pronouns because that is how "he" was viewed by contemporaries and throughout most of history. However, given Cassius Dio's writings about how Elagabalus wanted a vagina and female genitalia, I think that it's very safe to assume that Elagabalus was actually a trans woman.
Not to be nit-picky, but Dio doesn't say that he exclusively wanted female genitalia. Rather, he appears to claim that he wanted both (80.17.1, fragment of Dio in the Epitome of Xiphilinus): 'Avitus (Elagabalus), according to Dio, besought his physician to employ his skill to make him of two natures by means of an anterior incision.' ( Ἄβιτος, ὥς φησι Δίων, τὸν ἰατρὸν ἠντιβόλει διφυῆ αὐτὸν διὰ τομῆς ἐμπροσθίου τῇ τέχνῃ ποιεῖσθαι.). Unfortunately, the other major accounts, of Herodian and the Historia Augusta, do not mention this and thus provide no clarification.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Not to be nit-picky, but Dio doesn't say that he exclusively wanted female genitalia. Rather, he appears to claim that he wanted both (80.17.1, fragment of Dio in the Epitome of Xiphilinus): 'Avitus (Elagabalus), according to Dio, besought his physician to employ his skill to make him of two natures by means of an anterior incision.' ( Ἄβιτος, ὥς φησι Δίων, τὸν ἰατρὸν ἠντιβόλει διφυῆ αὐτὸν διὰ τομῆς ἐμπροσθίου τῇ τέχνῃ ποιεῖσθαι.). Unfortunately, the other major account, of Herodian, does not mention this and thus provides no clarification.
Fair point. That said, though, he was delighted to be called using various terms for females:

Elagabalus - Wikipedia

Maybe he was bigender?

Aug 2009
R'lyeh
Alexander III of Macedonia can not be claimed to have been "openly gay". Not based on the sources. According to them, he had sexual relations with both sexes. The only time he's stated to have fallen in love was with a woman.
But beyond that, "openly gay" means that someone identifies as "gay" and is open about it. Can't recall any source stating that Alexander, or any other Macedonian, ever talked about sexual identity.

Similar History Discussions