Has any larger country ever had an openly homosexual head of state?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
King had even more of a duty to procreate and provide an heir. Birth of Louis XIV was considered a miracle, for example. That is why he was called ,, Louis Dieudonne '' (Louis the God-given ) as a child.
Louis XIV wasn't gay, though.

Frederick the Great was gay and was a King and yet he never reproduced--thus causing the Prussian throne to fall into the hands of his nephew (younger brother's son) after his death.

Sep 2016
Georgia
Louis XIV wasn't gay, though.

Frederick the Great was gay and was a King and yet he never reproduced--thus causing the Prussian throne to fall into the hands of his nephew (younger brother's son) after his death.
I saw actions of Frederick also as sort of a rebellion against his father. He was forced to marry Elizabeth Christine of Brunswick and when his father died, separated himself from her.

Edward II managed to produce an heir and his son Edward III was born in 1312, for example.

Henry IV annulled his marriage to Margaret of Valois in 1599, because she couldn't produce an heir. He then married Marie de Medici, who gave birth to Louis XIII in 1601.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Gay is a modern construct implying black or white shades of sexuality. Back in the day, male homosexuality was more of a sexual fetish than a lifestyle choice, which the term "gay" has been tied into for numerous generations at this point in modern western society.
On another forum, this guy was annoying EVERYONE. one of his complaints was the modern use of the word 'gay'. he used to be gay and carefree and now he cant say that becasue ....

I added ; " ... you are homophobic ."

And he LOST it ! He , "No ! I am not ! See! Its not fair ! They took our word 'gay' and made it something else ! (rant rant ) I want to be able to be gay with no connotations ... etc etc rant complain "

And everyone on the forum was posting " Thats okay, you can be gay .... we accept you ... its pretty common nowadays .... I am one too ! ... etc etc "

:D

And he continued ranting and complaining and trying to explain what he meant .

And everyone else kept pretending they didnt know what he was telling them and kept telling him it was okay to be gay and finally come out about it.

:lol:

Feb 2019
Planet Earth
Gay is a modern construct implying black or white shades of sexuality. Back in the day, male homosexuality was more of a sexual fetish than a lifestyle choice, which the term "gay" has been tied into for numerous generations at this point in modern western society.
Ironically, identity politics have made westerners much more conservative in this aspect.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions