Has anyone else run into a wall of conspiracy theories when trying to find legit stuff on ancient Egypt?

Theodoric

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Particularly on youtube.
And this may not be the best forum for this. But I am posting it here because it's likely a good many people have run into this growing conspiracy theory annoyance as well.

I am a person who likes to multi-task, throw a good documentary up while working on something else. So while everyone else is asleep from too much Christmas dinner, I was up working on some writing and had an interest in ancient Egyptian masonry...

THE last 15 or so videos I have found on ancient Egyptian masonry turns into "And the aliens did..." or "And because of these cuts I can't explain, the Egyptians couldn't have possibly built the pyramids."
Not only that, but there are legions of people who seem to be accepting these videos as archaeological fact, ignoring all of the pictures and tools at the work sites, and instead believing they were made with fictional lasers and sonic-saws by people/aliens that apparently either A) Had every scrap taken away by the aliens, or B) Had every scrap taken away by "The Government" (not specifying WHICH government)... And I mean, no offense, but it was more imaginative when the historical conspiracy theorists thought it was all Illuminati instead.

The even worse part is, when attempting to find a "video service without fake Egyptian history" all I get are MORE "the aliens did it and the government has a conspiracy to hide it!" type videos, "And this is why it was aliens!" and the "and this is why the pyramids were built in 18,000 BC." Considering this "The Government" supposedly controls everything, they must SURE want me to think aliens made the pyramids.

Anyway, I whine too much.

Anyone know why this happened? Did the conspiracy theorists get tired of September 11th, Kurt Cobain, and Flat Earth?
Does anyone have any good youtube channels or video services without conspiracy theory nonsense?

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
IT happens because such nonsense has an audience and because the audience who accept that stuff as fact are are gullible, and as ignorant as the people making the clips.

The people promoting this garbage tend to be autodidacts with poor teachers OR are reasonably bright, even educated, but outside of their discipline. Some of course are bar faced lairs and frauds.eg See Erich Von Daniken (1970's) and George Adamski, infamous Ufoligist fraud

"aliens/God did it" . and " X civilisation couldn't possibly have done that' Are based on one of the most common logical fallacies; argument from ignorance. Ie A thing is true because it has not been proved to be false', or false because it has not been proved to be true. In the cases mentioned ; I'm too ignorant, stupid or lacking in imagination to think of anything else therefore Aliens did it. These people seem not to have heard of Occam's razor; Ie the simplest explantation tends to be the right one:

Eg until actually proved to be otherwise, it's perfectly reasonable to accept that the Ancient Egyptians built the Pyramids. That we are not yet sure exactly how they did it, does not support the conclusion that aliens did it.

Technical expertise of the Egyptians: I think that like so many others, I was intimidated by the sheer size of the Pyramids, and simply assumed the buildings are very advanced and too sophisticated . for the Egyptians.

I asked an architect friend about the sophistication of the Pyramids. His answer was that the Pyramid is the simplest possible form for a huge building. Pyramids do not use the arch, the dome or even the flying buttress. The are mathematically simple to design and construct, needing only very basic geometric skills, and the time and wealth to built to a standard higher than builders bother with today.

The solution: Forget about Youtube for anything other than entertainment. Find a proper source for any research or even accurate information. Asking here, is a great start; check out the thread on Akhnaten; there are somer serious scholars on this site.

Use Wikipedia as starting point, not for definitive answers; scholarly articles always have a detailed reference section.

Disclaimer: I've been trying to find information about just how advanced the Pyramid designs are/ are not. Keep having the same problem you've had on Youtube , bloody aliens bullshit. This means that at this point , I can't back up my claim about the Pyramids being a [relatively] simple design. In terms of proof, my claim is hearsay.This does not mean the alien theorists are right; an absence of evidence is not proof of absence

. Imo, 'aliens did it" or even visited , is from the land of froot loop crackpottery. They simply do not stand up to logical argument or scientific method . Some go as far as claiming massive conspiracies hiding' the truth.' always an easy claim to make; it's impossible to disprove.

I will keep looking. I'll see if I can get any information through the Architecture faculty at one of the local universities.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
Particularly on youtube.
And this may not be the best forum for this. But I am posting it here because it's likely a good many people have run into this growing conspiracy theory annoyance as well.

I am a person who likes to multi-task, throw a good documentary up while working on something else. So while everyone else is asleep from too much Christmas dinner, I was up working on some writing and had an interest in ancient Egyptian masonry...

THE last 15 or so videos I have found on ancient Egyptian masonry turns into "And the aliens did..." or "And because of these cuts I can't explain, the Egyptians couldn't have possibly built the pyramids."
Not only that, but there are legions of people who seem to be accepting these videos as archaeological fact, ignoring all of the pictures and tools at the work sites, and instead believing they were made with fictional lasers and sonic-saws by people/aliens that apparently either A) Had every scrap taken away by the aliens, or B) Had every scrap taken away by "The Government" (not specifying WHICH government)... And I mean, no offense, but it was more imaginative when the historical conspiracy theorists thought it was all Illuminati instead.

The even worse part is, when attempting to find a "video service without fake Egyptian history" all I get are MORE "the aliens did it and the government has a conspiracy to hide it!" type videos, "And this is why it was aliens!" and the "and this is why the pyramids were built in 18,000 BC." Considering this "The Government" supposedly controls everything, they must SURE want me to think aliens made the pyramids.

Anyone know why this happened? Did the conspiracy theorists get tired of September 11th, Kurt Cobain, and Flat Earth?
Does anyone have any good youtube channels or video services without conspiracy theory nonsense?
Egypt is the oldest most modern civilization. It also produced the largest structures on earth for millennia, only surpassed by Middle Age cathedrals that took centuries to build(and usually only their spires) until the industrial age, so how they achieved such literal heights is a point of fascination for people and lends itself to a lot of conspiracy theories.The age is such a long time ago where the theories are doubtful to be definitively disproved unlikely as they may be, making them perhaps more fertile ground than modern topics(where for example we were able to prove Hitler did in fact die in Berlin). Easier to find weird coincidences, sell it as some sort of crazy theory and wait for the oohs and ahhs. The era holds a strange fascination and mystery for people. Sort of like stongehenge, how did this people in such an early period build such advanced structures and have such a relatively advanced society, people doing incredible things a long time ago others didn't will always have some mysterious element to it.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Particularly on youtube.

The internet is amazing it is a huge library of Alexandria, but there is more garbage in the internet, and it its social networks, including on Youtube, that in all the physical libraries of the world.

There are some teachers and universities that make available some videos of conferences and classes on Youtube, but apart from that (and the music), I stay away from there, there are too many "experts" posting garbage there.

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
For the charlatans that publish it is of course all about $. They try to claim there is a "conspiracy" to hide "the truth" about ancient Egypt, and other civilizations of course, and rant and rage against "orthodoxy" in order to hide what amounts to a conspiracy conducted by themselves, a conspiracy, and that's perhaps too strong a word, to divert from a very glaring fact about pyramidiots and the fringe in general.

I contend that if these charlatans really believed in the nonsense they tip out, then they would individually stand by their own pet pile of manure and defend it against all comers. But they only defend their fraudulent claims from "orthodoxy", a term of abuse for them. They do not attack each other, as just a brief look at the GH or UM sites will show, or, needing just as strong a stomach, comments for these fraudulent videos on Youtube.

The pyramids were tombs built by the ancient Egyptians using the technology of their times, of that there is not one scintilla of doubt. Yet this is attacked again and again by the charlatans and fantasists. Curiously, they never attack each other, even when one crackpot idea is diametrically opposed to another, for instance, the Great Pyramid cannot have been a "seed vault" and a "power plant", but do we see Creighton and Dunn at each others throats and hurling the same vitriolic insults that, Creighton in particular, hurl against "orthodoxy", trained Egyptologists, experts in the field. Of course they don't, they, and the rest of the charlatans and fantasists circle the wagons and fight as one. This inability to argue against each other to the extent they argue with reality, to me, shows that none of them believe a word they write.

As I said, it's all about extracting money from a large number of people who yearn for some mystery, and either cannot engage their critical faculties, or don't want to. For myself I see no harm in engaging in these fantasies, and it's caveat emptor for those who buy books published by charlatans, but my issue is with them having become so bold, thanks to the media,that they have a platform to attack reality and accuse reality of "suppression" of the "truth". That goes to far, as does the extraordinary personal attacks by these charlatans on both professionals and individuals whose eyes are not clouded by the showers of tinsel and fairy dust wafted by charlatans.

As for factual Youtube videos on ancient Egypt, well they do exist in amongst all the crap.

This is lighthearted but factual

This from a good history channel

Feb 2011
Kitchener. Ont.
Particularly on youtube.
And this may not be the best forum for this. But I am posting it here because it's likely a good many people have run into this growing conspiracy theory annoyance as well.....
Yes, I think most of us have.
I would take a different approach, though it may take more time.
Anyone outside the discipline should look up the Egyptologists who work in your field of interest. If you prefer to use video's from Youtube then you need to find out which Egyptologists are experts in construction. As an example, my first thought was why are you not looking up Mark Lehner, his work on construction on the Giza plateau is right up your street.
Then there's Barry Kemp for Amarna studies, Salima Ikram, Don Redford, Nic Reeves, Joyce Tildsley, the list goes on.
Here is a list to get you going :) List of Egyptologists - Wikipedia but it is up to you to identify the one's who study in your field of interest.

I found a bunch of you tube video's by Mark Lehner, so there is a starting point.

Feb 2014
Miami
All the garbage on YouTube is extremely annoying. I usually try to filter through garbage and subscribe to people who post decent history. When I can’t find decent documentaries to listen to.. I’ll probably listen to people talk about fan fiction for Skyrim and fallout 4...

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Historum itself is far from immune to fringe theories about the pyramids. There are probably a score or two of extremely lengthy threads primarily comprised of posts from advocates of improbabilities. Fortunately the alien supporters have not been able to secure a foothold here.

Aug 2018
london
Look up Mudflood and Tartaria.

Dumbest conspiracy theories ever that started popping up in my youtube suggestions for some reason. They appear to have been invented recently.

It seems that no matter how dumb the theory is, there will be a large number of people who are seriously committed to believing in it.

Some kid in the US somewhere is going to be absolutely convinced that the reason some buildings have windows below street level is because there was a massive mud flood which buried all the buildings and they have only been partly dug up and there is a big global conspiracy to hide this fact for no reason.