Has anyone else run into a wall of conspiracy theories when trying to find legit stuff on ancient Egypt?

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Particularly on youtube.
And this may not be the best forum for this. But I am posting it here because it's likely a good many people have run into this growing conspiracy theory annoyance as well.

I am a person who likes to multi-task, throw a good documentary up while working on something else. So while everyone else is asleep from too much Christmas dinner, I was up working on some writing and had an interest in ancient Egyptian masonry...

THE last 15 or so videos I have found on ancient Egyptian masonry turns into "And the aliens did..." or "And because of these cuts I can't explain, the Egyptians couldn't have possibly built the pyramids."
Not only that, but there are legions of people who seem to be accepting these videos as archaeological fact, ignoring all of the pictures and tools at the work sites, and instead believing they were made with fictional lasers and sonic-saws by people/aliens that apparently either A) Had every scrap taken away by the aliens, or B) Had every scrap taken away by "The Government" (not specifying WHICH government)... And I mean, no offense, but it was more imaginative when the historical conspiracy theorists thought it was all Illuminati instead.

The even worse part is, when attempting to find a "video service without fake Egyptian history" all I get are MORE "the aliens did it and the government has a conspiracy to hide it!" type videos, "And this is why it was aliens!" and the "and this is why the pyramids were built in 18,000 BC." Considering this "The Government" supposedly controls everything, they must SURE want me to think aliens made the pyramids.

Anyway, I whine too much.

Anyone know why this happened? Did the conspiracy theorists get tired of September 11th, Kurt Cobain, and Flat Earth?
Does anyone have any good youtube channels or video services without conspiracy theory nonsense?
You cant really seriously study a subject via youtube. Although some youtubes do have good stuff, in that realm you will not be immune from woo-woo.

I am sure people here can direct you to some. You also might find 'Unexplained Mysteries' forum interesting, it is a woo-woo site with an Egyptological section that has been invaded by all sports of related professionals, to de-bunk the woo. They often recommend good educational sites, vids , sources, etc .

... as 'Dom' explains when he rejected his fathers "I will pay for your University tuition" offer : " Thats the problem with you old generation, you dont realise .... why would anyoe want to go to University anymore when you can learn all you want from Youtube . "

1546117895950.png

:winktongue:

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
Must add that I do think alien technology has been here for a long time; it just wasn't used to build monumental structures. Doesn't mean that the ancients didn't see UFOs and think they were divine manifestations; no real reason they couldn't have been around back then just as they were in the 19th century, and through the 20th.
Of course 'they' were around back then. But what is 'they' ? In the past we saw 'ancestors' , more recently 'little people' and magical coaches, in more religious times - demons and angels, in technological times 'space craft' , and good and bad abducting angels ... I mean aliens - no big surprise .

Harpur makes some interesting observations regarding all this in his 'Daimonic Reality'

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/920181.Daimonic_Reality

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
A small point; photo headers from Youtube features Zahi Hawass, former Egyptian state minister for Antiquities. I've seen him in a lot of documentaries (he loved TV) He always seemed Ok to me, following the line of scholarship and reason. Surprised to find him featured on what seems to be one those loony clips. I need to have a look at the clip.

Well, I started looking at it, and was immediately put off by its idiotic title " Five Crazy Things About--" That and "Weird Thingks X y OR z did" In serious Anthropology, this approach is sneeringly . referred to "as the quaint custom school of Anthropology" It was abandoned at the end of the nineteenth century. I may be being a bit harsh, I found the presenter really annoying.
Ahhh ... Zahi ... losses it :D

(we need to edit out that idiot at the end ! )

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Of course 'they' were around back then. But what is 'they' ? In the past we saw 'ancestors' , more recently 'little people' and magical coaches, in more religious times - demons and angels, in technological times 'space craft' , and good and bad abducting angels ... I mean aliens - no big surprise .

Harpur makes some interesting observations regarding all this in his 'Daimonic Reality'

Daimonic Reality: A Field Guide to the Otherworld by Patrick Harpur
I think they are just good old-fashioned aliens; not in the same category necessarily as fairies, spiritual beings, etc. Not to say that past religious / supernatural experiences might not have been aliens --they could have been misinterpreted in the same way the UFOs in medieval and rennaissance art were. That is also what the RAND Corp. UFO paper suggests. Just as some observers who witnessed saucer formations in the '40s and '50s thought they might have been radio-controlled top secret American devices; that was their paradigm, or "airship" observers who were convinced some genius inventor had created the devices, at the beginning of our conquest of the air; all the hoaxes and liars, and none produced a real airship.. Now they are buzzing aircraft carriers..

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
"Sightings of unidentified foreign objects (UFOs) have been reported throughout the centuries—most of them given a religious interpretation. Since World War II, however, there seems to have been a drastic increase in the number of sightings. We have enough data—both visual and photographic—on some of these sightings to know that the phenomenon is unambiguously extraordinary and clearly inexplicable in modern terms. The author examines UFO brightness, size, and maneuvers, and discusses the frequency and location of sightings. He ends by suggesting the need for more standardized reporting on UFOs, so that times and locations of appearances may be anticipated and badly needed objective data may be obtained."
UFOs: What To Do?

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
"What was reported? Luminous discs, shields, globes and elongated objects in the sky, sometimes alone, sometimes in large numbers. Occasional descriptions of interactions with the observers are also mentioned, including landings, and seeing and communicating with occupants. The latter events especially were almost always interpreted in a religious context. A recent example is the repeated appearance of a typical UFO phenomenology at Fatima, Portugal on six successive months in 1917. The October 13 phenomenon was the best reported and was witnessed by a crowd of about 70,000 persons, including a number of scientists, reporters, atheists, and agnostics, as wel as faithful Catholics. One of the scientifically curious was Dr. A Garrett of the University of Coimbra. Rain, which had been falling that day, ceased and the crowd looked up to see the "sun" now visible through the heavy clouds. Professor Garrett wrote, "...I turned toward this (sun) which was attracting all eyes and I could see it like a disk with a clear cut edge, with a vivid rim, luminous and shining, but without hurting one. The comparison I have heard at Fatima with a disk of dull silver"

The RAND Corporation on UFOs !