Has anyone here read Ambedkar's book "Pakistan, or, The Partition of India"?

Aug 2019
Mars
Origin of Biriyani is highly likely in India, created by Muslims. So is Nihari. Just tasting it would also give one that feel. The dishes have spread to neighboring regions, so outside origin claims are made, but highly doubtful. Making connections to pre-Islamic Indian dishes is also a stretch, since there is no real evidence.
Biryani - Wikipedia
Nihari - Wikipedia
My comment was mainly aimed at the myth that pre-Islamic India was mostly vegetarian. All of these examples have been taken from the valid sources.
It's also a stretch to say that Mughlai food was not inspired by older native cusinie at all.

Lol! Reply to my points, and not about me.
I believe it was a proper reply.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Which parts of Pakistan have spicy food?
Punjab and Sindh would have.

Also in India, the food in Telangana seems to be very spicy compared to other part of India, so are the Hyderabadi Muslim cuisine, also Hyderabad Muslims seems to add mint leaves in most of their dishes,Biryani or curry dishes. I took me a while to get used to it.

Aug 2019
Mars
All four regions of South India have different food. Andhra food is spicy, they eat daal rice like North Indians along with Sambar-rasam. Karnataka food is similar to Maharashtra aka Jowar roti is staple food in major part of Karnataka. Apart from Idli-dosa there are lots of common dishes like Poori-Sabzi or Khichdi, although South Indian version often hai curry leaves and Tamarind.
I'm familiar with all kind of South Indian cusinies. I can even cook many items on my own(without creating huge mess:coldsweat:). But I'm vegetarian so can't comment on non-veg recipies. I personally don't like greasy, overly spicy or too heavy food.
My favourite southern dishes are like these,
images (13).jpeg

images (14).jpeg
images (15).jpeg images (16).jpeg
A balanced blend of spices and right assortment of chutneys can overcome power of grease which dominates popular Indian cusinie.:upsidedown:
I like curry and mint leaves but not tamarind. From my experience it seems like tamarind is not too easy to love for most of north Indians.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
India
All four regions of South India have different food. Andhra food is spicy, they eat daal rice like North Indians along with Sambar-rasam. Karnataka food is similar to Maharashtra aka Jowar roti is staple food in major part of Karnataka. Apart from Idli-dosa there are lots of common dishes like Poori-Sabzi or Khichdi, although South Indian version often hai curry leaves and Tamarind.
I am surprised you could be wrong about Karnataka cuisine. Jower roti is the staple food of north Karnataka and areas near Bangalore in the south. But most of the south interior Karnataka it is Ragi Mudde. In the coastal and Malanad regions of Karnataka, it is rice.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
I am surprised you could be wrong about Karnataka cuisine. Jower roti is the staple food of north Karnataka and areas near Bangalore in the south. But most of the south interior Karnataka it is Ragi Mudde. In the coastal and Malanad regions of Karnataka, it is rice.
Yes, I know, that's why I said major part of Karnataka. South Karnataka and Coastal Karnataka rice is the main food.

Sep 2019
United States
I'm afraid that's a very oversimplistic view of Sindh's history and present. What has changed for Sindhis is that the feudal Sindhi elite have a lot of political powers, they are extremely rich and pretty much dominate any election in Sindh and all government owned institutions in the province. Saying the Sindhi Muslims are poor is a broad generalization because it ignores the various caste, tribal and class stratifications that exists within the Sindhi community. The comment about "Muhajirs" viewing Sindhis as inferior is also a generalization, both communities can be/are racist towards each other but for the most part it isn't bad as you're making it out to be and I say this as somebody that has family in both communities - that's as broad a generalization as saying all north indians and south indians hate each other or that all marathis hate biharis, in real life most ordinary people don't hold such extreme views and get along just fine.

As for the Mohammad Bin Qasim/Raja Dahir episode in Sindh's history, I think we as south Asians tend to oversimplify our history. It isn't as clear as black and white. No invader can successfully overthrow the ruling class/monarch without local support whether it's America needing Kurdish and Shia support in Iraq or Northern Alliance support in Afghanistan or whether it's the British needing support from various local Indian communities/kingdoms to overthrow the larger ones as there was a lot of infighting after the collapse of the Mughal empire. In the case of Sindh, the Arab Bin Qasim benefited from the resentment Sindhi Rajputs and lower castes + Buddhists had against Raja Dahir - a Brahmin king, it was these Rajputs that helped dethrone Dahir. It is no coincidence that majority of upper class Sindhi Muslims come from a Rajput background - the Bhuttos, Junejos, Khuhros, Rajpars etc are also Muslim Rajputs and they benefitted the most from regime change. Also quite suprisingly many of the Sindhi nationalists that do hail Raja Dahir as a son of the soil are from Muslim communities that claim Arab ancestry such as the Shahs and Syeds of Sindh. GM Syed was the most prominent Sindhi nationalist and he comes from a family that claims descent from Arab sufis that came to Sindh. So I'd suggest not to oversimplify and generalize the history of Sindh and the rest of the subcontinent. This is after all a history forum so we should all keep an open mind.

Peace.
These Sindhi Rajputs are not real Rajputs!
In our Rajputana history, we have ZERO connection to their tribes!
Besides, Rajputs are no tribal people. They are no tribe! They are a caste, which is a Hindu thing, not a Muslim thing!

Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
These Sindhi Rajputs are not real Rajputs!
In our Rajputana history, we have ZERO connection to their tribes!
Besides, Rajputs are no tribal people. They are no tribe! They are a caste, which is a Hindu thing, not a Muslim thing!

You seem to have come on to this forum intent on causing conflicts and arguments based on ethnicity, religion, caste, or whatever.

We will NOT tolerate this kind of behaviour on Historum. If that's what you want to do, this forum is not for you. Consider this a warning.

Similar History Discussions