Has anyone read The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth?

May 2017
Virginia
Would anyone recommend this novel set in post-Norman Conquest England? It deals with a man called Buccmaster of Holland who loses his family and home to the Normans and subsequently leads a guerilla campaign against the invaders. It is apparently inspired by the Anglo-Danish/Saxon post-Conquest rebel leader Hereward the Wake (hence the title) and written in a mix between Modern English and Old English called "Anglish". How is it? Would you recommend it?

Nov 2008
England
Would anyone recommend this novel set in post-Norman Conquest England? It deals with a man called Buccmaster of Holland who loses his family and home to the Normans and subsequently leads a guerilla campaign against the invaders. It is apparently inspired by the Anglo-Danish/Saxon post-Conquest rebel leader Hereward the Wake (hence the title) and written in a mix between Modern English and Old English called "Anglish". How is it? Would you recommend it?
I haven`t read it, but it did get a good review in the Guardian newspaper. Apparently, he wrote the story in what he called "shadow tongue", with which he intended to convey the "feeling" of Old English.

Sep 2018
USA
Not sure if you’ve read it already or not, but I read it and it’s quite a good read! It initially took me a bit to figure out the words (I actually didn’t know there was a glossary in the back until I finished the book) but after that I thought it was excellent. There’s an interesting twist and it really immerses you in the traditional Saxon resistance narrative. It’s rare that you get to step into the shoes of a man witnesses the devastation of his land by a medieval army, and honestly it’s pretty powerful.

For anyone reading this, I give it a 10/10 definitely!

Similar History Discussions