Has anyone taken a look at Bruce Gilley's pro-colonialism article?

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
The latest studies on the origins of iron working in west Africa do not support the notion of a transmission from northwest or north-central Africa. In other words, the map is outdated, and is based on outdated conjectures. I would recommend reading chapter 5 ("Early Iron in West and Central Africa" by Manfred Eggert) of the book Nok: African Sculpture in Archaeological Context (2014) and chapter 2 of the book Metals in Past Societies: A Global Perspective on Indigenous African Metallurgy (2015) for more in depth information about early iron working in west Africa.

Aug 2018
london
the map is outdated, and is based on an outdated conjecture.
No, it's based on rock carvings depicting chariots across the sahara.

At exactly the same time that metallurgical societies appear in subsaharan africa.

Coincidence no doubt.

I'm sure subsaharan africans went straight from the stone age to the iron age without any outside assistance, lol.

Aug 2018
london
The point of the sources I referenced for you was for you to read them and realize that metallurgy appears earlier in sub-Saharan Africa.
Do you know what metallurgy is?

Earliest evidence of metallurgy in the world is thousands of years before anything in subsaharan Africa.

What you're claiming is that iron metallurgy appeared in subsaharan africa before it appeared in societies that had been using copper and bronze metallurgy for thousands of years. So subsaharan africans went straight from using stone implements to making iron implements without bothering to pass through the copper and bronze ages that everyone else went through. An almost miraculous occurance. Or else just bullshit based entirely on carbon dating random pieces of charcoal.

Please show me an image of a metal artefact from subsaharan africa older than 0 BC.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
I'm really not going to bother responding in any detail until you show some evidence that you even read those sources. The things you're bringing up are already discussed in those articles (and this isn't even really the thread for this sort of discussion anyway.)

Aug 2018
london
I'm really not going to bother responding in any detail until you show some evidence that you even read those sources
Yeah I've read papers that make nonsensical claims about iron metallurgy in subsaharan africa.

Please show me the metal artefacts that were produced in subsaharan africa before 0 BC

Last edited:

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
Please show me an image of a metal artefact from subsaharan africa older than 0 BC.
You can actually see exactly such things in the book on the Nok art that I mentioned previously. However, I did not mention the book because it contains images of "metal artefacts from subsaharan Africa older than 0 BC", but instead for the chapter by Eggert, which is a pretty objective/balanced take on the issue of metallurgy in early west Africa.