Has christian/Byzantine church art been influenced by Buddhist/Indian art?

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
especially when it comes to western scholars who are very biased, everything will go in uni direction, so it hardly will be debated if the art went from east to west.
Yeah ... but no.

If and when "the art went from East to west" is not debated but demonstrated, explained, analysed by the "very biased western scholars".

Extensively.

Reactions: Niobe
Mar 2019
KL
Yeah ... but no.

If and when "the art went from East to west" is not debated but demonstrated, explained, analysed by the "very biased western scholars".

Extensively.
art is not a science which can be demonstrated, so its always open for debate and interpretations.

regards

Mar 2019
KL
In most of cases, artistic influences can be demonstrated, explained, analysed.

It's more difficult to demonstrate, explain, analyse artistic lack of influence.
as i said, again, art is not a science, artistic influences theory can always be challenged, one cannot adequately prove the influence, and its pretty subjective, i have analysed art theories of the western scholars and most of it found to be complete BS and a load of crap and is always one sided i-e from west to east/ in case of geography between south eastern europe and india, seldom its argued otherwise.

regards

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
as i said, again, art is not a science, artistic influences theory can always be challenged, one cannot adequately prove the influence, and its pretty subjective, i have analysed art theories of the western scholars and most of it found to be complete BS and a load of crap and is always one sided i-e from west to east/ in case of geography between south eastern europe and india, seldom its argued otherwise.

regards
Sorry, maybe it's not BS but there's just less influence than You like it to be?

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
If there was any influence -- which is far from certain, given how natural placing human figures in a circle on a domed surface is -- there's also nothing here suggesting which way it went one way or another.
True!

Without the radial design, half of the figures would be upside-down from any given vantage point... so it is inevitable that a good artist, trying to use his era's current understanding of how to manipulate perspective would consider this, regardless of his influences... possibly even regardless of understanding perspective, people's brains like to see patterns in things, like a reoccurring circular element.

The biggest difference in some of these composition aesthetics usually has more to do with what direction a culture reads and writes in (ex: Asian art) - but circles side step that entire issue.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
as i said, again, art is not a science...
Art is not a science, but Art History regularly involves research, testing and scientific method to understand what exactly a work is about, when it was made, who made it, how it was made and how it relates to other works.

Art is subjective. Art History is based more in the science camp than you'd think... it's based on facts and research, not personal preference or opinion.

Reactions: David Vagamundo
Mar 2019
KL
Art is not a science, but Art History regularly involves research, testing and scientific method to understand what exactly a work is about, when it was made, who made it, how it was made and how it relates to other works.

Art is subjective. Art History is based more in the science camp than you'd think... it's based on facts and research, not personal preference or opinion.
i am not aware of european art research on european topics, but on indian topics i simply found a complete lack of understanding/in depth research and totally bogus non scientific method which have been used here in this area. its probably because europeans are more experts in european arts than say eastern/indian arts.

regards