Has there been much study of swamp warfare?

Dec 2014
Europe
We often hear terms used like 'desert warfare', 'arctic warfare', 'mountain warfare', etc. usually with accompanying literature written by military experts on things like tactics/strategies to use in those conditions and historical examples. I haven't seen as much written specifically on warfare fought in swamp/marshland conditions though.

Anyone know if there have been any texts/studies written specifically on war in those conditions? I'd think there would have been enough historical examples of this type of combat environment to warrant some study of it, for example some of the battles fought during the Seminole Wars or Viet Nam war...

Last edited:

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Training in swamps is sometimes part of jungle warfare training. They're both fairly similar. (dense vegetation & damp environments)

Last edited:
Dec 2014
Europe
Training in swamps is sometimes part of jungle warfare training. They're both fairly similar. (dense vegetation & damp environments)
Fair point, although fighting in a jungle doesn't always mean you're fighting in a swamp. It's a fairly specific kind of terrain and conditions, which can sometimes involve a bigger role of watercraft than jungle fighting on more solid ground...

edit: which actually leads me to wonder, have there been any waterborne operations in swamp environments that fell within the jurisdiction of brown-water navy units? Or has it tended to be an army thing?

Last edited:

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
In the U.S. I have seen some discussion on the role of Francis Marion, known as the "Swamp Fox." His tactics have been diagnosed, to some degree, as an attempt to explain his success against the British forces in the South.

Dec 2014
Europe
Apr 2016
United Kingdom
Swamp and mangrove warfare would've been popular in parts of South Asia. If I remember rightly, there was a battle where a thousand Japanese soldiers were killed by crocodiles. We can also study the Normans' pacification of the Fens and actions in southern American bayous and the Amazon (but that's crossing over into jungle warfare).

Mar 2012
Magdeburg
Battle of mohacz is a good example of swamp warfare, though it might not be technically 100% swampy area, but close to it. lots of germanic knights drowned in a swampy area while pursuing ottomans

Tairusiano

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Brazil
Brasil armed forces have the course "Estágio de Operações no Pantanal" (Operations stage in the Pantanal), is a course for swamp warfare in Pantanal(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantanal) is jointly administered betwen the army Western Military Command and the navy riverine warfare command.
In the north in Amazon rainforest the jungle warfare units also have swamp warfare courses and operations.
here in portuguese a old info book of swamp warfare for new volunteers, with some information on what is is taught.
Caderno de operações ao pantanal

Now if you have interest in swamp warfare in the past, Paraguay war(or war of Triple alliance war), it was full of swamp warfare.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions