Has there ever been a peaceful exodus of a community from a country

Nov 2012
Any instances where the ruler of a country wants to expel a community from the country but without actually trying to kill or persecute or torture them. Just asking them to leave or face punishment and hence, everyone chooses to leave peacefully. Has such a thing ever happened?

Nov 2014
Maryland
Sure ---- Edward II expelled the Jews peacefully enough in your terms, as did Philip the Fair in France at the same time; Isabella of Spain expelled the Jews, too, in 1493, explicitly in your terms, but given the Inquisition that followed, in which "conversos" who lied were targeted, I don't know if that meets the conditions you specify.

Udi Amin expelled the Indians from Uganda in modern times. That's all I can think of at the moment; I suspect there are a lot more. Saudi Arabia expelling all their Palestinians a few decades ago?

Nov 2010
Cornwall
Sure ---- Edward II expelled the Jews peacefully enough in your terms, as did Philip the Fair in France at the same time; Isabella of Spain expelled the Jews, too, in 1493, explicitly in your terms, but given the Inquisition that followed, in which "conversos" who lied were targeted, I don't know if that meets the conditions you specify.

Udi Amin expelled the Indians from Uganda in modern times. That's all I can think of at the moment; I suspect there are a lot more. Saudi Arabia expelling all their Palestinians a few decades ago?
I dont agree with much of that tbh. Leave, convert or die is not my idea of voluntary.

Nov 2014
Maryland
I dont agree with much of that tbh. Leave, convert or die is not my idea of voluntary.
Well, the thread parent's condition was "Just asking them to leave or face punishment and hence, everyone chooses to leave peacefully." So that does seem to me to be what the examples I gave explicitly were doing.

I don't think you can expect people to like it!

How about this? After Hitler came to power in 1933, the Nazi establishment ratcheted up the pressure on Jews to emigrate, explicitly to get them to emigrate, but as far as I know (and I may well be wrong, if someone knows, say?) they never stated it clearly, perhaps to avoid trouble with the intake countries. Now, THAT was voluntary, and smarter Jews fled by the thousands, seeing that it was only going to get worse and worse. Still, however "voluntary," no one can have been happy about it.

Jun 2014
In a Palace Library

I'm not sure Edward II expelled the Jews peacefully, the way I remember Simon Schama explaining it in his History of Britain series, at low tide they were taken out to what they thought was an island only to find when the tide came in that they were under water.