Has Western capitalism become too efficient and ruthless?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I agree that it’s paid for in taxes. That;s my point

The services I get from 911 are police or ambulances policed to my home. But 911 doesn’t work very well because there is no cost to the individual caller and so too much is demanded of the police and ambulance companies.
So if you can access ambulances as well as police (and I assume the fire department) from 911, why shouldn't the police and fire service operate in the same way as healthcare?

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
There is no water privatisation in Australia. All infrastructure is state-owned. Profits are put back into the system instead of being siphoned off by private shareholders.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
As to your last, think about it: with Pravda, you got the party line; with Google, you have your choice of reading newspaper content from around the world. Google is a search engine, not a news source.

I did thought about, and I'm still thinking about:

- with Pravda, I've got the party line, that I know what is. With Google, I have the Google algorithms, that I don't know what are.

- as far as "the choice" I have goes, Google disagreed with Spanish law on media, so it simply ceased to show me any Spanish media. So I could not access freely press around the world.

- Google isn't "a search engine". It's Chrome, it's YouTube, it's Android, it's Waze, and I'll not continue further.

I will not derail further on how a company like Google is traking and memorising myself and Yourself, in a scale that largely surpasses the former KGB or today's NSA or DSS.

And should we outlaw a monopoly simply because it is a monopoly?
Isn't the monopoly the very antithesis of free market, in the end?

Besides ideological theories, what is the difference between a CEO deciding the policy of a monopolist company and the Minister of a communist government?

As an end user, how much more "choice" have I when a company controls 90% of a market, actually?

Reactions: chefren

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
And for about the fourth time, having public healthcare does not preclude having private healthcare, and it certainly does not work that way in European systems. Public and private healthcare exist side by side.

So why do you insist on saying that public healthcare will stop people having private healthcare?
Because that is the way its being advocated in the U.S. I haven't heard one politician speak of the two standing side by side.

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
That’s how it used to be, in the US—eg.Philadelphia back in the early days of the Republic. But why should health care be treated as a “public good”? Why shouldn’t food or water be free? They’re more vital to survival, no?
I keep asking that question all the time.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
Because that is the way its being advocated in the U.S. I haven't heard one politician speak of the two standing side by side.
Maybe you should read their actual policies instead of listening to soundbites on the TV.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
So if you can access ambulances as well as police (and I assume the fire department) from 911, why shouldn't the police and fire service operate in the same way as healthcare?
You get billed for using the ambulance if your insurance doesn't pay. And I would wonder if the ambulance would come get you if you owed thousands of dollars.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Maybe you should read their actual policies instead of listening to soundbites on the TV.
Is that an order from you? Maybe you should listen to the politician's platforms. You think you know better what American politician are advocating than and American who follows these things? Ok. Cite and produce a major presidential candidate's platform where they are promising both. Show me what I don't know mate.