Has Western capitalism become too efficient and ruthless?

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
Taking the EU as a whole compared to the US, it would suggest not.
I would leave that to statisticians then.

We have cost control issues in a lot places in the USA (health, education, transportation, infrastructure, ..etc) , I am not sure why that happens but I can guess they all factor in somewhere into a feedback loop.

Speaking of Cancer, someone I know in the UK just got approved for her first Mammogram testing at age 52.

Breast cancer screening

Breast screening is currently offered to women aged 50 to their 71st birthday in England.
is that the normal in the NHS ?

--
Cancer Screening Guidelines | Detecting Cancer Early

Screening tests are used to find cancer before a person has any symptoms. Here are the American Cancer Society's recommendations to help guide you when you talk to your doctor about screening for certain cancers.

Breast cancer

• Women ages 40 to 44 should have the choice to start annual breast cancer screening with mammograms (x-rays of the breast) if they wish to do so.
  • Women age 45 to 54 should get mammograms every year.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Well, wait a minute and perhaps a century ...

deficit spending increases the GDP. US can increase its deficit spending without problems [China can say everything, but Chinese owners of US public debt will do nothing]. So that US government has got economical room to increase military and healthcare expenditures [in the same time]. In EU it's different: in Italy in the 80's we were "Americans" ... we increased our economy thanks to a giant increase of the public debt [someone in US would have called this a "stimulus"] and we were able to surpass UK becoming the 5th economical power of the world.

Until US$ will be The Money at world lever US will enjoy such a freedom, but if US$ loses that condition ...

This is what I mean: in EU we haven't got the "room to move" that they've got at Washington. I wish to UK to find again this room to move after Brexit [even if today the Pound is a minor currency unit at world level].

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
Well, wait a minute and perhaps a century ...

deficit spending increases the GDP. US can increase its deficit spending without problems [China can say everything, but Chinese owners of US public debt will do nothing]. So that US government has got economical room to increase military and healthcare expenditures [in the same time]. In EU it's different: in Italy in the 80's we were "Americans" ... we increased our economy thanks to a giant increase of the public debt [someone in US would have called this a "stimulus"] and we were able to surpass UK becoming the 5th economical power of the world.

Until US$ will be The Money at world lever US will enjoy such a freedom, but if US$ loses that condition ...

This is what I mean: in EU we haven't got the "room to move" that they've got at Washington. I wish to UK to find again this room to move after Brexit [even if today the Pound is a minor currency unit at world level].
I think I understood the above in a way but can you please post a longer version of the above when you get the chance !? :)

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I would leave that to statisticians then.

We have cost control issues in a lot places in the USA (health, education, transportation, infrastructure, ..etc) , I am not sure why that happens but I can guess they all factor in somewhere into a feedback loop.

Speaking of Cancer, someone I know in the UK just got approved for her first Mammogram testing at age 52.

Breast cancer screening

is that the normal in the NHS ?

--
Cancer Screening Guidelines | Detecting Cancer Early
It would seem so, which accounts for why the US 5 year survival rate is nearly 89% compared to 82% for the UK.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I think I understood the above in a way but can you please post a longer version of the above when you get the chance !? :)
Not to become too scientific, I can add a very intuitive data: US deficit as percent of GDP. In 2018 is has been around 3.8% [in EU this would have meant a procedure of infraction!], but in 2019 it seems it will be 5.1% [in EU this would mean an economical suicide because of the "spread"]. US Federal Deficit as Percent of GDP - plus charts and analysis

This can work only because US% are the real world currency unit. As soon as this will be no more true ... US will be in troubles.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Anyway ... it's working. Like it's working in Japan with their incredibly giant public debt.

Economy is not an exact experimental science. It's not said that we will find out that Europeans are the idiots ... we will see.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
A very valid question/point, have we established that the population number does not matter when we talk $/Capita to outcome relationship ?
Care to show anything to indicate small-size in any way shape or form might be an advantage under any circumstances?

Otherwise large size of "domestic market" is ALWAYS a plus when dealing with anything that involves a cost-benefit situation, i.e. the management of scarcity. (In all market competitiveness surveys "domestic market size" is one of these killer apps, it virtually ensures the like of the US or China ending up well-positioned regardless of everything else; it's so decisive the extraordinary stuff is when occasionally one of the smaller actors manages to bump the US from the top spot.)

Being small mostly means you have too few and too little of everything ALL the time. If not, it would make health-care the ONE and SINGLE exception to the advantages of large-scale.

Besides, these days to do fx effective cancer research you need a sample population to draw cases from in the several hundred millions range. The US is big enough. All national EU systems are too small, and can only compete if pooling. Assumptions within research is that China and India will be picking up the real scale advantages before long.

Iraq Bruin

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
DC
I posted a thought of a question that does not assume anything including a linear relationship or knowledge of confounding factors and within group variations and multiple other factors.

Questioning is not the same as knowing the answer.

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
As an illustration of the fact that lower spending doesn't always equate to lesser capabilities, Great Ormond Street hospital has just successfully separated a pair of conjoined twins who were attached to each other by the head (craniopagus twins).