Have any other monarchs ever built a royal palace comparable to that of Versailles?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The construction of Versailles that French King Louis XIV ordered was one of the most magnificent in history, in my honest opinion. Were there any other monarchs that ever built a royal palace comparable in size and glory to Versailles--and if so, which monarchs--and which palaces?

Dec 2011
There is a whole range of palaces built across Europe after Versailles: Mannheim Palace built by the Electors of the Palatinate, Schönbrunn Palace in Vienna, the Royal Palace at Caserta built by the Bourbon
kings of Naples and Sicily, Karlsruhe Palace built by the Dukes of Baden, and of course, Peterhof Palace in St Petersburg. They all rival Versailles in size, although maybe not in "glory", at least not today; the German palaces in particular suffered through history and weren't rebuilt and refitted like they had been before industrialization and war beginning in the middle of the 19th century, and the renovation of Peterhof Palace hasn't been completed even today. So, despite their pure historical and artistic awesomeness (especially of Peterhof Palace), if I'm allowed to voice my opinion in such a manner, they might have been much more "glorious" 150 years ago.

Mar 2018
UK
I was at Schönbrunn doesn't come close to Versailles in scale, grandeur or even beauty. It's undoubtedly a nice place, but it is in no way comparable to Versailles.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Monuments to royal absolutism, I like to think we've rather grown out of that sort of thing. Just imagine the sweat of all the peasants that was required to subsidise the self-aggrandisement of German princelings!
I really like the architecture, though. Nowadays we can create great architecture with much less suffering. :)

Similar History Discussions