Have any other monarchs ever built a royal palace comparable to that of Versailles?

Apr 2018
India
Tears of envy in his eyes? Really?
I really was joking as I said.

It looks more as he was both amused and disgusted by this manifestation of a personality cult, which we have seen in an even more extreme form with leaders like Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin. That's what comes of the idea that the state is manifested in the person of the supreme leader; sinister as well as absurd, and even worse when that ruler was really a powerful monarch rather than the ruler of some German mini-state who modelled himself on him.
I understand that's the impression any man of the world would have gotten while visiting Versailles for the first time. Also he is not the only one to find the monumental vanity of Louis XIV despicable. However in retrospect of his full reign I get the idea that all these were rather calculated to achieve his political goals rather than a manifestation of his whimsicality. Even among his draconian diktats, the revocation of the Edict of Nantes and Dragonnades were pretty political, however it indeed caused the Huguenots a whole lot of trouble. I don't know why he booted the Jews out of Martinique because he doesn't appear to be someone who would follow family traditions just for the sake of it. I would very much like have others' opinions on Code Noir though.

All in all, I don't think its right to draw parallels between him and Hitler just on the basis of waging wars. The two personality cults were rather different in nature. Louis XIV doesn't seem to be nearly so illogically and anachronusly motivated by personal prejudices as Hitler. His personality cult was, IMHO, more like that of Stalin's. Both wanted to be viewed as supreme managers of their realms.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Don’t know if Mafra (in Portugal) and El Escorial (in Spain) were already mentioned, if not:

Mafra: Palácio Nacional de Mafra - Carillons

El Escorial: https://www.patrimonionacional.es/real-sitio/real-sitio-de-san-lorenzo-de-el-escorial
Marfa Palace is number 26 in the list by total square feet. El Escorial is number 31 in the list by total square feet. How they rank for splendor, comfort, beauty, gardens and other surroundings, and various other desirable qualities which are not as easy to measure is largely a matter of interpretation and individual taste.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
The Wikipedia list of largest places has this to say:

argest former palace complexes[edit]

Roman Villa Neuchâtel, Switzerland
In ancient times palace buildings could be as large or even larger than existing palace buildings. One example is the palace of Knossos on Greek island Crete. This palace, which started construction in 2000 BC, reached its biggest size in 1500 BC with a size of 20,000 square meters (215,278.208 square feet) and 1,300 rooms.[17]

The Malkata palace complex was built by the Pharaoh Amenhotep III in the 14th Century BC. The size of the palace complex is unknown, but it contained a T-Shaped artificial lake covering an area of 2 square km at least (3.6 sq km accorrding to some estimates). The size of the main palace itself was 30,000 m sq.

The Roman emperor Hadrian's Villa at Tivoli, Italy was a complex of over 30 buildings build between 118 and the 130s AD, covering an area of at least 250 acres (1 mio square meters, or 10,763,910 square feet) of which much is still unexcavated. The villa was the greatest Roman example of an Alexandrian garden, recreating a sacred landscape. The complex included palaces, several thermae, theatre, temples, libraries, state rooms, and quarters for courtiers, praetorians, and slaves.[18][19][20]

When Roman emperor Nero's "Golden House" (Domus Aurea) was built after the great fire of AD 64, the buildings covered up to 300 acres (1,214,056 square meters, or 13,067,990 square feet). The main villa of the complex had more than 300 rooms.[21][22]

In 200 BC, the Weiyang Palace was built at the request of Han Gaozu, under the supervision of his prime minister Xiao He. The palace survived until the Tang dynasty when it was burnt down by marauding invaders en route to Tang Chang'an. This was the largest palace complex ever built on Earth, covering 4.8 km² (1,200 acres), which is 6.7 times the size of the current Forbidden City, or 11 times the size of the Vatican City.

The Daming Palace was the imperial palace complex of the Tang dynasty, located in its capital Chang'an. It served as the imperial residence of the Tang emperors for more than 220 years.In 634, Emperor Taizong launched the construction of the Daming Palace at Longshou Plateau. He ordered the construction of the summer palace for his retired father, Emperor Gaozu, as an act of filial piety. However, Emperor Gaozu grew ill and never witnessed the palace's completion before his death in 635, and construction halted thereafter. Empress Wu commissioned the court architect Yan Liben to design the palace in 660 and construction commenced once again in 662. In 663, the construction of the palace was completed under the reign of Emperor Gaozong. Emperor Gaozong had launched the extension of the palace with the construction of the Hanyuan Hall in 662, which was finished in 663. On 5 June 663, the imperial family began to relocate from the Taiji Palace into the yet to be completed Daming Palace, which became the new seat of the imperial court and political center of the empire.The area of the palace complex was 3.11 km square.
World's largest palace - Wikipedia

The 20,000 square meters or 215,278.208 square feet of the Knossos palace would put it between number 35 on the list, the Munich Residenz, and number 36, the Rashtrapati Bhavan in Delhi.

The 30,000 square meters of the main palace in the Malkata palace complex would put it between number 31, El Escorial and number 32, Kronborg, on the list.

Hadrian's Villa at Tivoli at at least 250 acres, or at least 1,012,000 meters, or at least 10,890,000 square feet, gives it at least 1.4 times the size of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex. I don't know the total square feet of the buildings and how they compare with other palaces on the list.

Nero's Domus Aurea or Golden House in Rome had up to 300 acres (1,214,056 square meters, or 13,067,990 square feet) of buildings and grounds. That would be up to 1.68 times the area of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex. I don't know the total square feet of the buildings and how they compare with other palaces on the list.

The Daming Palace of the Tang dynasty at Chang'an had a total area of 3.11 square kilometers, or 3,110,000 square meters, or 768.4977 acres, or 33,467,000 square feet. That would be about 4.31 times the area of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex. I don't know the total square feet of the buildings and how they compare with other palaces on the list.

The total size of the Malkata Palace complex is unknown, but it contained an artificial lake estimated at 2 or 3.6 square kilometers, or 2,000,000 or 3,600,000 square meters, or 494.2 or 889.6 acres, or 21,530,000 or 38,750,000 square feet. That would be 2.77 or 4.99 times the area of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex.

The Weiyang Palace of the Han Dynasty near Chang'an covered 4.8 square kilometers or 4,800,000 square meters, or 1,200 acres, or 51,670,000 square feet. That would be about 6.666 times the area of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex. I don't know the total square feet of the buildings and how they compare with other palaces on the list.

Versailles is described as:
World's largest royal domain with 87,728,720 square feet (8,150,265 m2) or 2,014 acres of palace grounds.
Note that 2,014 acres of palace grounds are 1.678 times the 1,200 acres of the Weiyang Palace complex, and 11.31 times the area of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex. But the palace grounds at Versailles do not constitute a palace complex so that is sort of like comparing apples and oranges.

And no doubt similar calculations could be made for many other palaces and palace complexes.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions