Have any other monarchs ever built a royal palace comparable to that of Versailles?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The Wikipedia list of largest places has this to say:

World's largest palace - Wikipedia

The 20,000 square meters or 215,278.208 square feet of the Knossos palace would put it between number 35 on the list, the Munich Residenz, and number 36, the Rashtrapati Bhavan in Delhi.

The 30,000 square meters of the main palace in the Malkata palace complex would put it between number 31, El Escorial and number 32, Kronborg, on the list.

Hadrian's Villa at Tivoli at at least 250 acres, or at least 1,012,000 meters, or at least 10,890,000 square feet, gives it at least 1.4 times the size of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex. I don't know the total square feet of the buildings and how they compare with other palaces on the list.

Nero's Domus Aurea or Golden House in Rome had up to 300 acres (1,214,056 square meters, or 13,067,990 square feet) of buildings and grounds. That would be up to 1.68 times the area of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex. I don't know the total square feet of the buildings and how they compare with other palaces on the list.

The Daming Palace of the Tang dynasty at Chang'an had a total area of 3.11 square kilometers, or 3,110,000 square meters, or 768.4977 acres, or 33,467,000 square feet. That would be about 4.31 times the area of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex. I don't know the total square feet of the buildings and how they compare with other palaces on the list.

The total size of the Malkata Palace complex is unknown, but it contained an artificial lake estimated at 2 or 3.6 square kilometers, or 2,000,000 or 3,600,000 square meters, or 494.2 or 889.6 acres, or 21,530,000 or 38,750,000 square feet. That would be 2.77 or 4.99 times the area of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex.

The Weiyang Palace of the Han Dynasty near Chang'an covered 4.8 square kilometers or 4,800,000 square meters, or 1,200 acres, or 51,670,000 square feet. That would be about 6.666 times the area of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex. I don't know the total square feet of the buildings and how they compare with other palaces on the list.

Versailles is described as:

Note that 2,014 acres of palace grounds are 1.678 times the 1,200 acres of the Weiyang Palace complex, and 11.31 times the area of the Purple Forbidden City in Beijing, considered the world's largest (current) palace complex. But the palace grounds at Versailles do not constitute a palace complex so that is sort of like comparing apples and oranges.

And no doubt similar calculations could be made for many other palaces and palace complexes.
Merci beaucoup for sharing this Wikipedia article! :) I'll take a good, detailed look at it! :)

The Villa Romana del Casale (Sicilian: Villa Rumana dû Casali) is a large and elaborate Roman villa or palace located about 3 km from the town of Piazza Armerina, Sicily. Excavations have revealed one of the richest, largest, and varied collections of Roman mosaics in the world,[1] for which the site has been designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.[2] The villa and artwork contained within date to the early 4th century AD.

The mosaic and opus sectile floors cover some 3,500 sq metres and are almost unique in their excellent state of preservation due to the landslide and floods that covered the remains.[3]

Although less well-known, an extraordinary collection of frescoes covered not only the interior rooms, but also the exterior walls.

Villa Romana del Casale - Wikipedia

The owner's identity has long been discussed and many different hypotheses have been formulated. Some features such as the Tetrarchic military insignia and the probable Tetrarchic date of the mosaics have led scholars to suggest an imperial owner such as Maximian. However, scholars now (2011) believe that the villa was the centre of the great estate of a high-level senatorial aristocrat.[5]

Even though it is smaller than Diocletian's villa at Split, one highly impressive feature of this villa is it's floor plan with numerous curved walls.

Thus it somewhat resembles the Palace of Antiochus in Constantinople a century later.

Palace of Antiochos - Wikipedia

Palace of Antiochos - Wikipedia
Yes, I know of that villa and would love to visit it one day. I remember reading an article that suggested the character with a Pannonian cap should be identified as Maximian, although Pannonian caps were certainly used by people other than the Tetrarchs! Do you remember which Tetrarchic insignia appear in the mosaics?

Incidentally, a Serbo-Australian archaeological team is currently excavating what they think may be a palace of Maximian in Glac, Serbia: Australian-Serbian Аrchaeology Project Glac - Glac Project

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions