Have the sahel heavy cavalry ever used iron horse armour

Jun 2019
20010328qq
sehel cavalry(yan lifida),The image is generally,use quilted armor and iron chanfrons
d8c3ae5ce6ae8b372c3c832a475af965.jpg
sudan_cavalry_west_kordufan_1910_small_165.jpg.216ccdcd4ca47b25615f2bf0c4d72212.jpg b-897.JPG

I'd love to know,Just like Sasanian and Byzantium cataphract ,Do they have them?
843860f13a3be21e4e30c6e92dbc4eb7.jpg
Only in a chad cavalry seen the iron armour
CcAy88PWAAEFvX-.jpg.ad64dfad1436f4d065f17e5ed888c814.jpg
Do you have more pictures? chain mail and scale armour

I am sorry that my english is not good 。

Feb 2018
ohio
We know that cataphract horses were completely covered in metal armour in summer campaigns in the Middle East. Climate has never had any influence over what armour a soldier chose to use.
Its hotter and more humid in africa for far longer than in china and the middle east which also the campaigns were mostly in Anatolia.

Aug 2014
Australia
The how is that relevant? A battle only lasts for a few hours. Climate has never in the entire history of warfare had any influence over what armour a warrior chose to use.

Jun 2019
20010328qq
Its hotter and more humid in africa for far longer than in china and the middle east which also the campaigns were mostly in Anatolia.
The British museum introduces the sudan horse armour:“In full battle armour the war-horse would also have worn chain-mail or pieces of leather across the flanks”

Sep 2017
United States
The how is that relevant? A battle only lasts for a few hours. Climate has never in the entire history of warfare had any influence over what armour a warrior chose to use.
Slightly off topic, but how did troops in heavy armor deal with heat? I especially think of the Crusader knights, I’d imagine even in a short battle things would get pretty miserable.

Aug 2014
Australia
Even the heaviest armour is no more bother than regular clothing. The problem with heat is caused by enclosed helmets. If your head is ventillated it doesnt matter what armour you wear.

During the battle of Towton knights in full helms were collapsing from heat exhaustion even though they were fighting in a snowstorm.

Last edited:
Feb 2018
ohio
Even the heaviest armour is no more bother than regular clothing. The problem with heat is caused by enclosed helmets. If your head is ventillated it doesnt matter what armour you wear.

During the battle of Towton knights in full helms were collapsing from heat exhaustion even though they were fighting in a snowstorm.
The spannish in the americas started wearing local gambsons in response to the heat and humidity.

Similar History Discussions