Have the sahel heavy cavalry ever used iron horse armour

Kirialax

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Blachernai
Even the heaviest armour is no more bother than regular clothing. The problem with heat is caused by enclosed helmets. If your head is ventillated it doesnt matter what armour you wear.

During the battle of Towton knights in full helms were collapsing from heat exhaustion even though they were fighting in a snowstorm.
What's the latest on the etymology of klibanophoros? Are they oven-bearers because it's hot, because it's heavy, or does it derive from some other term?

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
What's the latest on the etymology of klibanophoros? Are they oven-bearers because it's hot, because it's heavy, or does it derive from some other term?
Nobody knows. All the theories are just speculation. There is no real evidence to back up any of them.

Dan Howard

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
Australia
No need to get smarmy.

I think you know there is no way for me to type in "Dan Howard's sources for weight and hindrance of Aztec Armor" and get anything from it.
"Advanced Search"
Keyword: "Aztec armour"
Posted by: "Dan Howard"

Returned two hits. The first is this thread. The second is where I posted primary sources describing the construction of South American textile armour.

-------------------
"The armor which they use in war are certain loose garments like doublets made of quilted cotton, a finger and a half thick, and sometimes two fingers; they are very strong. Over them they wear a doublet and hose all one garment, which are corded behind. This garment is made of thick cloth and is covered with a layer of feathers of different colors, making a fine effect; for neither arrows nor darts pierce them, but are thrown back without making any wound, and even with swords it is difficult to penetrate through them."
-- Companion of Hernan Cortez

"Out of sacking or light linen cloths they make a kind of surcoat that they call escaupil. These fall below the knee, and sometimes to the calf. They are all stuffed with cotton, to the thickness of three fingers. The layers of cotton are quilted between folds of linen and sewed with rough thread."
-- Aguado, History of Venezuela
-----------------

This was not "lightweight" armour. It was heavy and thick enough to stop arrows from heavy bows and spears thrown by atlatls.

Jul 2019
Ghana
I'd love to know,Just like Sasanian and Byzantium cataphract ,Do they have them?
Perhaps not just like Sassanian or Byzantine cataphracts, lol, but from what I can tell, heavy cavalry in the Sahel was pretty heavy...

Here's an image of African cavalry from Maiduguri, North-Eastern Nigeria, in traditional attire wearing decorative horse armor:
Maiduguri cavalry horse African armor.jpg

You could expect this kind of stuff (including less decorative, more functional designs) from Kanuri and Hausa heavy cavalry in their heyday, but this general style may have been more widespread back in the day. Cloth armor (quilted cotton) was definitely the most popular type of horse armor used across the Sahel, probably as early as Antiquity in Sudan.