HBO's Chernobyl

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Chernobyl is a five-part historical drama television miniseries created and written by Craig Mazin, and directed by Johan Renck. A co-production between HBO and Sky UK, it depicts the Chernobyl nuclear disaster of April 1986 and the unprecedented cleanup efforts that followed. It features an ensemble cast consisting of primarily European performers, led by Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgård, Emily Watson, and Paul Ritter. The series premiered in the United States on May 6, 2019, and in the United Kingdom on May 7, 2019.
Chernobyl dramatizes the true story of one of the worst man-made catastrophes in history, and tells of the men and women tasked with its cleanup. The miniseries focuses on the nuclear plant disaster that occurred in Soviet Ukraine in April 1986, revealing how and why it happened, and telling the stories of several people who died.

So, did anyone watch this mini-series? I saw it got pretty good reviews, so I assume they did something right, but I am a bit reluctant to watch Western shows about Eastern Europe because they can often be biased.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I read about Chernobyl recently. Apparently one fear was that the core would melt, the resulting radioactivity would get into the local ground water and river systems and eventually into the world’s oceans with catastrophic effects. I also have a particular interest as my home area in North Wales was affected because of heavy rain in the area at the time. Sheep and lambs were being monitored for radioactivity before sale until 2012.

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
It is very, very good. Any bias is not obvious. The Soviet leaders are the kind of collection of good leaders and CYA yes-men you find in any large organization. What's blowing me away is the response of the ordinary people they called on. My thoughts were "My God, the Russians are crazy. No wonder they won WWII". Anything like that in most countries and everybody would have been running for the hills and safety.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
It is very, very good. Any bias is not obvious. The Soviet leaders are the kind of collection of good leaders and CYA yes-men you find in any large organization. What's blowing me away is the response of the ordinary people they called on. My thoughts were "My God, the Russians are crazy. No wonder they won WWII". Anything like that in most countries and everybody would have been running for the hills and safety.
The scene where the "biorobots" go out to clear reactor debris from the roof where even a few minutes of exposure to the radiation emanating from the graphite would be fatal (hence being limited to 90 seconds relays) was an example of that, and the level of attention to detail from the filmmakers was outstanding. The recreation looks like it was almost lifted from archival footage.

(From 17:30)

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
If I'm being honest, I don't think I would have made a sacrifice similar to the ones you see in this series. I think I would do exactly that: "run for the hills."

Feb 2016
ROK
I read about Chernobyl recently. Apparently one fear was that the core would melt, the resulting radioactivity would get into the local ground water and river systems and eventually into the world’s oceans with catastrophic effects. I also have a particular interest as my home area in North Wales was affected because of heavy rain in the area at the time. Sheep and lambs were being monitored for radioactivity before sale until 2012.
What I find odd is that the regions that are closer to Fukushima than Wales is to Chernobyl didn't take any precautions at all.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
What I find odd is that the regions that are closer to Fukushima than Wales is to Chernobyl didn't take any precautions at all.
It just happened to rain very heavily as the radiation cloud came over. There were no precautions that could have been taken before the event.

Sep 2016
Georgia
Which is why other nations will never understand Russians.

Similar History Discussions