HBO's Chernobyl

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
To be honest, I doubt You would have had a choice at that time and place.
Good point. However, it seems that there were some willing and "enthusiastic," volunteers who didn't go do their duty kicking and screaming.

And those miners weren't immediately or automatically obedient, they pushed back a bit.

janusdviveidis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Lithuania
There were some ways to avoid going to Chernobyl. Buss driver from my fathers factory stayed overnight when he heard rumors and took factory buss apart for imaginary repairs.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Janus, can I ask what region/area your dad's factory was in? Was it only specific regions where workers were drawn from? Or were people from all over the USSR made to come clean up the disaster?

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Good point. However, it seems that there were some willing and "enthusiastic," volunteers who didn't go do their duty kicking and screaming.

And those miners weren't immediately or automatically obedient, they pushed back a bit.
IDK.

A totalitarian regime makes people think and react differently. There's the variant of taking the bus for repairs. There's also the variant of "heck, anyway we can't say no, so what's the use complaining? Let's do it and get rid of it as quickly as possible"

"Kicking and screaming" was anyway out of question.

Reactions: Menshevik

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
It is very, very good. Any bias is not obvious. The Soviet leaders are the kind of collection of good leaders and CYA yes-men you find in any large organization. What's blowing me away is the response of the ordinary people they called on. My thoughts were "My God, the Russians are crazy. No wonder they won WWII". Anything like that in most countries and everybody would have been running for the hills and safety.
So you celebrate the incompetence of Soviet leaders?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
The people who suffered immeasurably were mostly ordinary people trying to live their lives, like you and I. It was a sad affair by every measure.

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
So you celebrate the incompetence of Soviet leaders?
I don't quite understand your comment. Anyone who's familiar at all with the Pentagon papers, the Panama papers, or the Wikileaks publications will not have a high opinion of the leaders of most countries. Or for that matter, if you look at some of the video of lethal police action in the U.S. and read the official versions of what happened. The CYA element in the Soviet hierarchy in the first episodes of Chernobyl was pretty high. They did, however, along with the attempt to cover up what was happening, proceed vigorously to address the problem rather than just trying to avoid dealing with it.

The last episode was something of a falling off in quality. The explanation of what happened was very good. The trial was like the cliched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, and I'm not sure that that was necessary to make the point.