Heavily encrusted iron spike - beside coastline Roman remains.

Jan 2020
Spain
Hi all!

Yesterday we where at one of our local beaches which we have been dozens of times. There are Roman ruins behind the beach and what are apparently Roman fish farms and/or baths carved into the rocks. There have been a few big storms recently and now there are far more rocks visible the a lot more man made formations.

My son picked up something that was very strange, and hit it on a rock. Some of the thick crust fell off to reveal the point of a metal spike. I'd say the spike was about 3mm diameter but the crust was sand coloured on the outside but black inside and probably 2cm diameter. Anyway, I'm not sure if it was the correct thing to do but we removed all the crust to real a bent metal spike almost 50cm long.
Is this likely to be something from relatively recent times or something much older due to the thickness of the crust? It is magnetic and that's all we know!

My son is only 5 and very excited to find 'treasure'

Any info would be fantastic! Thanks!

Lots of pics attached, some where too large to attach

Attachments

Reactions: heavenly knight

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Can you confirm that the surfaces are all flat (no round edges)? Round edges suggest relatively recent manufacture (less than 300 years old). Flat surfaces could be any age.

Reactions: TeddyT
Jan 2020
Spain
Hi and thanks for response, it is very hard to tell. The pointed end looks like flat edges as do some other places but it's very inconsistent. Bumpy and very thin in one spot.