Help Identifying 19th Century Artillery Regiment / Battle

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Looks Like the Royal Horse Artillery. Maybe Opium Wars or India. Possibly Africa in the Ashanti War. The braid on the officers jacket is very Horse Artillery like.

Hard to call as no enemy in the picture.

Last edited:
Feb 2017
Devon, UK
From my somewhat scant knowledge it appears to be the Royal Horse Artillery which had brigades in India in the 1870s but weren't involved in any actions (as far as I know) until 1879, so it may be a field exercise that's being depicted. From the headgear I'd say that the painting is contemporary with the event and not of an earlier action.

Sep 2012
London, centre of my world

This looks to be a similar uniform, though it's Australian and a bit later in date.

But then there's this image of possibly a Canadian Artillery officer, which is closer.

My final guess is British Colonial Horse Artillery; but I'm not sure which colony.

Last edited:

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
By 1872 I think there was only Royal Artillery or Horse Artillery. The colonial (Indian) ones had been folded into the Royal Artillery.

Stations of the Royal Artillery 1874

A Brigade (RHA)
HQ - Umballa
A Battery - Mean Meer
B Battery - Lucknow
C Battery - Umballa
D Battery - sealkote
E Battery - Morar

B Brigade.
HQ - Aldershot
A Battery - Christchurch
B Battery - Newbridge
C Battery - Canterbury
D Battery - Dublin
E Battery - Coventry
F Battery - Aldershot
G Battery - Exeter
H Battery - Birmingham

C Brigade
HQ - Bangalore
A Battery - Meerut
B Battery - Secunderabad
C Battery - Bangalore
D Battery - Kirkee
E Battery - Mhow

D Brigade
HQ - Woolwich
A Battery - Woolwich
B Battery - Woolwich
C Battery - Woolwich
D Battery - Exeter
E Battery - Woolwich
F Battery - Aldershot
G Battery - Dorchester
H Battery - Dublin

F Brigade
HQ- Peshawar
A Battery - Mean Mer
B Battery - Campellpore
C Battery - Peshawar
D Battery - Meerut
E Battery -Umballa

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Stations of the Garrison Artillery.

1st Brigade - 7 Batteries. All in England or Wales.
2nd Brigade - 3 Batteries Ceylon, 1 Hong Kong, 1 Africa, 1 Mauritius, 1 St Helena.
3rd Brigade - 7 Batteries. All in England.
4th Brigade - 8 Batteries in Ireland, 2 Batteries in England.
5th Brigade - 5 Batteries India, 2 Batteries Rangoon.
6th Brigade - 2 Batteries Aden, 5 Batteries India.
7th Brigade - 4 Batteries Canada, 3 Batteries Bermuda or Jamaica.
8th Brigade- 7 Batteries India
9th Brigade - 7 Batteries India
10th Brigade - 7 Batteries England and Wales.
11th Brigade - 7 Batteries at sea. Destination India.
12th Brigade - 7 Batteries Malta
13tg Brigade - 7 Batteries India.
14th Brigade - 7 Batteries England and Scotland.
15th Brigade - 7 Batteries Gibraltar
16th Brigade - 10 Batteries England
17th Brigade - 6 Batteries England, 1 Battery Australia.
18th Brigade - 7 Batteries India
19th Brigade - 7 Batteries India.

We can rule out Home Service as I believe white pith helmets were for foriegn service. India or Africa being the most likely.

Tercios Espanoles

Ad Honorem
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
The picture is dated 1875 in the lower right, artist is "F.H." I'd put my money on South Africa.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
I can confirm that in December 1873 part of 1st Battery,17th Brigade of Royal Artillery under command of a man called Rait arrived in what is now Ghana to take part in the 3rd Ashanti war. Not saying that this is them. But if this is Africa before 1875 its a good possibility.

Last edited:

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
This is the chap.
Arthur John Rait, Esquire, Companion of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Lieutenant-Colonel {retired) Royal Artillery, Justice of the Peace and Deputy-Lieutenant for the county of Forfar, was born in 1839 and was the eldest son of James Rait of Anniston, Captain 15th Hussars and Lieutenant-Colonel 1st Lancers British Auxiliary Legion in Spain, and Knight of St. Ferdinand. He was entitled to wear the Military Cockade. Arthur was present at the capture in 1854 of the fortifications at Bomarsund which the Russians had built on the Aaland Islands in the Baltic during the Crimean War. Having joined the Royal Artillery in 1857, he served in the Rakamundel Field Force in 1859, and as a Lieutenant in the 4th Brigade Royal Artillery he fought during the Maori Wars in New Zealand in 1864-1866, becoming a Captain and earning his Brevet-Major for services against the Ashanti in West Africa. He was one of the first people to use the Gatling gun in 1874 and, while in Africa, he raised a force of native soldiers which became known as Rait’s Artillery.