Help identifying statue

Jan 2020
Maumee
I Googled Lapini and agree that there are some similarities in style to what I have. I didn't see much in the way of added coloring but I digress.

You keep referring to mine as a potential copy. What give you this idea.. other than currently I'm not finding a signature mark? I'm not suggesting you are wrong, I love what I have regardless of if it's original or a copy (even though I know it would be reflective of it's worth.) If it's a copy, I'd think at some point I'd find a photo of the original for comparison.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I'm familiar with antiquities. In case of silver objects it's the "punzonatura" [a group of symbols you see stamped on the object] to tell you if it's original or a copy [because you can check it with the records of the producer].

While on that kind of object there should be the symbol of the house which produced it, at least a faded letter [Italians used blue or green]. Usually the symbol is quite simple.
I would look under the base of the statuette.

Reactions: Todd Feinman
Jan 2020
Maumee
I've thought there could be something under the statue but would have to disassemble it from the base and don't wish to break something.

Jan 2020
Maumee
I wouldn't be surprised. I don't know why... but I always felt it wasn't original... almost like it was added for height or to appear worth more (if that makes sense)

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
It also doesn't have to be a one-off by a well known artist; there were workshops that made fine statuettes and other items for sale for to wealthy tourists, etc. You could take it somewhere to be appraised professionally, or risk having it disassembled as Luke mentions to look for marks.

Nov 2016
Germany
You keep referring to mine as a potential copy. What give you this idea.. other than currently I'm not finding a signature mark?
It's quite simple: an artist's work is usually signed, in his or her own interest and also in the interest of the collector. Copies, on the other hand, are not signed unless the copy is by the original artist. Lapini, for example, has copied some of his own works. Since your statue does not have a recognizable signature, the suspicion that it is a copy is therefore well founded.

I think it is very unlikely that the signature could be hidden under a newly mounted base. Why would anyone want to hide the signature under a new base? This would cause the object to lose a great deal of reputation and material value.

As I said before, it makes sense to look for other statues that have similar brown ornaments as your statue. This is quite unique and could help to determine the origin of the object. What material are these dark parts made of? Is it brown marble and is it colored white marble or is it anything else?

1578938897974.png

1578938378884.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 2020
Maumee
I will have to look again tonight for a signature or marking.
Also, I believe.. and will check tonight.. but that the ornaments are carved into the original stone and colored.

Feb 2017
Devon, UK
Having read through the thread I'll weigh in with my own (relatively educated) opinion.

Firstly, As far as dating goes I'd concur that it's late 19th or early 20th century (1895-1910 ish, possibly slightly later) and its origin is probably Italy. I'd also say it's more likely alabaster than marble but it's hard to tell from photographs.

From the quality I think we are looking at the posh end of department store luxury goods rather than a fine art dealer (which doesn't mean that it can't be a design by a known artist produced under license).

The big question I have is, where's the other one?

Nobody has mentioned the asymmetry of the carved base, nor the fact that the figure's right elbow doesn't overhang the base in the way the left arm does. I'd say this is one of a pair of figures that were originally sold as bookends, each mounted on an 'L' shaped base, probably of black marble.

Reactions: Todd Feinman