Texas
I heard today on the news that Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh
was ill and taken to the hospital. When listening to the news anchor
give the story, he said "the Prince was taken to the hospital...."

My question is, "How come he is not called King Philip?"
Didn't it used to be when a male was sitting on the throne,
his wife was called "Queen"? When did that change and how come
Philip is not called 'king'?

I know very, very little about the monarchy, so I would appreciate come clarity. Thank you.

chimera

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
australia
HM made him wait 10 years to get a princely title after probation from renouncing his German and Greek powers. That was a shame, as she could have used a couple of colonies then as India and Africa slipped away. King of Germany would have put the Soviets in their place.

Feb 2013
Second City
Being King would place him on a level equal to that of his wife, the sovereign. Instead, the spouse of the monarch is the Prince/Queen Consort.

Last edited:

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Being King would place him on a level equal to that of his wife, the sovereign. Instead, the spouse of the monarch is the Prince/Princess Consort.
Ahh, I'm following now. Since the title of 'king' was/is the highest ranking,
and queen being number two, that would be as you wrote. I thought maybe
it had to do with having 'official royal blood' in your veins.

Feb 2013
Second City
Ahh, I'm following now. Since the title of 'king' was/is the highest ranking,
and queen being number two, that would be as you wrote. I thought maybe
it had to do with having 'official royal blood' in your veins.
Yes it stopped, not sure when.
Slight correction to my previous post; a King's wife is not called a "Princess consort." Kings' wives retain the right to the title of "Queen consort," since that wouldn't supersede their husbands' authority.

And a widowed "Queen consort" is a "Queen mother" if their son or daughter is the reigning monarch.

Last edited:

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Slight correction to my previous post; a King's wife is not called a "Princess consort." Kings' wives retain the right to the title of "Queen consort," since that wouldn't supersede their husbands' authority.

And a widowed "Queen consort" is a "Queen mother" if their son or daughter is the reigning monarch.
So 'back in the day' of Henry VIII, his wives/queens were spoken to introduced/addressed as..."Good morning Queen Anne consort'?

Similar History Discussions