Help needed to identify an old gun

Sep 2018
ireland
Hi
First of all, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong area.

Im trying to identify what type of guns these are and if they can be repaired. I live in Ireland. They have been in our family for a long time.
Thanks, in advance for your time.
Aidan

PS I have more photos, its hard work reducing the size and quality of the pics to meet the sites requirements!

Attachments

Aug 2014
Crete
I don't know about the rifle but the revolver if you don't have the missing parts it cannot be repaired, it's impossible to find parts for old guns, someone have to make them from raw material... I have no idea about the types first time I see this kind of revolver

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The pistol reminds in some way a Webley. As for I know the producer still exists, may be they can do something about that historical model.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Hi
First of all, apologies if I have posted this in the wrong area.

Im trying to identify what type of guns these are and if they can be repaired. I live in Ireland. They have been in our family for a long time.
Thanks, in advance for your time.
Aidan

PS I have more photos, its hard work reducing the size and quality of the pics to meet the sites requirements!

Looks like its part of the Adams family.

That means either the early Adams, or a later Beaumont-Adams or London Armoury pistol.

Its difficult to tell without the cylinder and at that low resolution.

Theyre all 1850 to 1880 vintage black powder guns, the sort of thing that will have been used by the military then relegated to police or militia and finally sold on the civilian market once cartridge pistols were introduced.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
Theres a pivot point at the front lower of the frame. Theres also a cut out in the front centre of the frame in front of one of the chambers, that means it had a lever action cartridge loader.

That means that it is a muzzle loading black powder cap and ball system.

The horn at the top of the grip is distinctive to Adams style revolvers as is the hump in the frame above the grips and below the hammer, Webleys tend to have a downward curve.

Its an Adams style revolver with a lever style bullet compression loader, it can possibly be a Tranter pistol.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tranter_(revolver)

I cant find good sources for a Tranter but Capandball has a good video for the Adams

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions