Henry V lives another 30 years

Jul 2017
Memphis
1.Suppose he does and Henry VI is just like him?
2. Suppose on top of that Joan of Arc is never captured
but fights on until either she dies of old age or
the war ends?

Mar 2016
Australia
His dynasty would probably remain on the throne of France so long as they didn't attempt to encroach too much on the rights and autonomy of the French nobles. By promising to respect their privileges they might be willing to cooperate with Henry, although as Henry came from a much more centralised kingdom this might be difficult for him to accept. I don't know too much about the situation in the 1420s to give a more detailed answer than that - I haven't got up to Jonathan Sumption's fourth volume of the HYW yet.

As for Joan of Arc, she was a useful figure-head to raise morale among the French troops, but she was no great general. The actual planning and execution of campaigns was led by professional French generals and noblemen. Her surviving wouldn't change much. The French still won despite her death - which ultimately changed very little.

Reactions: Futurist
Mar 2016
Australia
[\

I think avenging her cruel death may well have had provided French troops with a powerful cause against a hated enemy.
Do you have any source that claims this was a motivation for the average French soldier? I'd think that they already had reason enough to want to expel the English, i.e. a century of near-constant rampaging and pillaging around France, leading to a staggering level of destruction and death. Being burned at the stake - even when it was a woman being burned - was not an unusual method of execution in the medieval era, so the specific method of her execution wouldn't have changed much. Everyone knew the punishment for heresy was being burned.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
That link is to a novel, not a historical source. Also, it isn't my job to prove a negative, it's on you to support a statement you made with evidence.
"I think I am becoming a god." I had no idea who I was dealing with. Nevertheless I am an atheist and feel no obligation to conform to your further demands.:coldsweat:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
His dynasty would probably remain on the throne of France so long as they didn't attempt to encroach too much on the rights and autonomy of the French nobles. By promising to respect their privileges they might be willing to cooperate with Henry, although as Henry came from a much more centralised kingdom this might be difficult for him to accept. I don't know too much about the situation in the 1420s to give a more detailed answer than that - I haven't got up to Jonathan Sumption's fourth volume of the HYW yet.

As for Joan of Arc, she was a useful figure-head to raise morale among the French troops, but she was no great general. The actual planning and execution of campaigns was led by professional French generals and noblemen. Her surviving wouldn't change much. The French still won despite her death - which ultimately changed very little.
Agreed with all of this. Also, it's possible that England is eventually going to experience a period of Gallicization in this scenario if it and France will keep a common monarch and if there will be a formal union between England and France at some future point in time (like there was in 1707 between England and Scotland in real life).

In addition, I wonder if a victorious Henry V might be interested in some other foreign adventure(s). For instance, what about a new Crusade to recapture the Holy Land from the Muslims?

Mar 2016
Australia
"I think I am becoming a god." I had no idea who I was dealing with. Nevertheless I am an atheist and feel no obligation to conform to your further demands.:coldsweat:
I'm not sure if this comment of yours was meant to be sarcastic, but my signature is a reference to the last words of Emperor Vespasian, where he mocked the belief that Roman Emperors became gods when they died. Also, I couldn't care less about your religion or lack thereof. What you said wasn't a response to my post, and simply shows your immaturity.

Mar 2016
Australia
Agreed with all of this. Also, it's possible that England is eventually going to experience a period of Gallicization in this scenario if it and France will keep a common monarch and if there will be a formal union between England and France at some future point in time (like there was in 1707 between England and Scotland in real life).

In addition, I wonder if a victorious Henry V might be interested in some other foreign adventure(s). For instance, what about a new Crusade to recapture the Holy Land from the Muslims?
Its interesting to consider whether or not the involvement of the enormous military might of a combined England and France, led by a great commander like Henry, could have turned the tide during the Varna crusade of 1444 to be a victory for the Christians. That certainly would have had a massive impact on history.

Reactions: Futurist