Here is why Hitler wasn't evil(No holocaust denial)

Sep 2012
Argentina
Everyone says Hitler was evil. Everyone says Hitler was a sociopath, or a psycho, or sadist. I think Hitler was none of these things, and I'll tell you why(without justifying what the Nazi regime did)

Who was Hitler in the first place? Hitler was an Austrian man who was born in a rural village. During his early years, he was a calm kid. In school he started having bad grades after one of his brothers died, which seems to have severely affected. From here we can see that he had emotions, as the loss of a loved one truly affected him.

Later in life, Hitler decided to study art(ART!) What kind of psycho would want to study art? C'mon! He liked painting, so he went to Vienna Art Academy. He traveled to Vienna with a long time friend who would become a conductor in an orchestra. This man, August Kubizek, was Czech(a Slav). He would remain friends with Hitler until the end of his life.

Hitler was not accepted in the Art Academy, and stayed unemployed. He become a homeless man, who painted for a living. You can imagine the hardships which he went through during this time. He lost contact with his family and his friend Kubizek for some time.

When the war started, Hitler enlisted in the Army. He was a homeless man, so he had nothing to lose. In the war he was decorated for bravery. He was sometimes used as a courier(he offered to do this himself), and would have to run through the enemy lines to deliver important messages.

Here, I have to make a stop. You see, Hitler was probably the Austrian everyman. He was just an average person that had dreams, fears and loved ones. But destiny was not kind, as he had to go through very very hard times. Can you imagine what it is to live as a homeless person(particularly during that era), or be in the trenches during WW1? This certainly can make anyone lose his mind. Do you judge the Vietnam veterans with the same standards you judge Hitler? No, you don't. Everyone sees Vietnam veterans as poor men who offered their lives for their country and were destroyed by war. Hitler was no different from them.

After the war Hitler started getting resentful towards the world. He already was resentful because he had lost his beloved brother. He already was resentful beause he had failed in achieving his dream of becoming a painter. He already was resentful because he had been living as a homeless person for long years. He already was resentful because he fought in a terrible war, and saw his fellow countrymen getting killed. He would become MUCH more resentful after his country was destroyed by the Treaty of Versailles.

If all these things had never happened, Hitler would probably had been just an average man. He would have never made the things he made, and would never have envisioned Nazism. After all, Hitler was a human being, just like anyone else, with emotions, who had too much.

By the way, Anti-semitism and racism, xenophobia, homophobia and all those things were not Hitler's inventions. Not at all. Those things had already existed for a long time. And in Europe during that time, most people was either anti-semite, racist, xenophobes, homophobes, etc. Hitler was no different from any other person from the early 20th century. He was a product of his time and the circumstances, nothing else.

NOTE: The point of this thread is not justifying Hitler nor anything the Nazis did. The point of this thread is showing that anyone, given certain circumstances, can become a genociding dictator. You don't need to be "evil", or a psychopath, or crazy, or whatever to kill millions of persons.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
Argentina
Hitler was certainly a product of the beliefs and sentiments of the time. The problem is that he brought such ideas to such extremes not seen in history. That's why he is so reviled.
I think it's very easy to send millions of persons to a concentration camp when you are not the one who has to kill them. The psychos were probably the ones working in there, and Himmler, because he oversaw that.

The truth is, Hitler never visited one of such camps. I don't think he could stand visiting one of them, it would have been too much for him.

It's the same with the USA. Truman just had to say "drop the bombs", but he never saw the disfigured kids in Hiroshima, he never had to go down there. I don't think he would have given that order so easily had he had to see that.

Jan 2015
MD, USA
Completely absurd, not to mention horrifying that someone could think like that.

Hitler and his cronies went SO far beyond the "sentiments of the day" that even a lot of dedicated Nazis were horrified. EVERYONE except the hardcore Exterminate-the-Jews crowd thought he was evil.

And they were right.

I certainly hope you succeed as an artist.

Matthew

Mar 2016
Australia
I think it's very easy to send millions of persons to a concentration camp when you are not the one who has to kill them. The psychos were probably the ones working in there, and Himmler, because he oversaw that.

The truth is, Hitler never visited one of such camps. I don't think he could stand visiting one of them, it would have been too much for him.

It's the same with the USA. Truman just had to say "drop the bombs", but he never saw the disfigured kids in Hiroshima, he never had to go down there. I don't think he would have given that order so easily had he had to see that.
That doesn't make him not evil, that just makes him evil and a coward (I'm aware that he fought in WWI and I'd never call a veteran a coward, but the Hitler of 1933 to - 1945 was a very different Hitler than the one of 1914 to 1918). He was more than happy to have these camps set up and thousands sent there to die, but he was too weak to even visit them himself. That doesn't make him a good-hearted man.

Apr 2009
Alabama, USA
So over six million people died in the camps because Hitler got pissed by the rejection he got from the art school, and how World War I ended?? Wow. Bravo. <claps sarcastically> Bravo...

And what makes you think Hitler gave two rat's asses about the people he was killing? Why would he waste time checking every camp to ensure his guards were doing what he told them to do? He had a war to wage.

For the record: just because a man can't stomach being around death and/or gore doesn't automatically mean he's a good man.

Last edited:
Dec 2015
USA

Hitler still sent millions to die in camps over a heavy reinterpretation of the Ubermensch, the German concept of Blood and Soil, and Aryan race theory. If he had no hand in it he certainly didn't do anything to stop it.

The USA nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki to end a war that would've killed more than just the two cities. It was a means to prevent more death, which worked.

They are not the same.

Sep 2012
Argentina
That doesn't make him not evil, that just makes him evil and a coward (I'm aware that he fought in WWI and I'd never call a veteran a coward, but the Hitler of 1933 to - 1945 was a very different Hitler than the one of 1914 to 1918). He was more than happy to have these camps set up and thousands sent there to die, but he was too weak to even visit them himself. That doesn't make him a good-hearted man.
That would make almost every politician that declared war against another country, or sent their own countrymen to die in a war, evil.