HG Wells: War of the Worlds

Triceratops

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Late Cretaceous
I must recommend The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, Vol 2., as it deal with how the 'Martians' are driven from Mars, by John Carter and Gulliver Jones, and the subsequent War on Earth. It is such a fantastic work, bringing so many different characters together into one volume.

I've read it, some of it is hilarious, Rupert the Bear and Badger Bill as creations of Dr Moreau.

Have you seen the Dark Horse comic, Okamido? Sticks closely to the story;

eComics :: Dark Horse Comics

Fire_Raven

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Oregon
Ha turns out I was right and I did buy a copy of the book a few years ago but it got "lost" in my bookshelf. I'll have to re-read it after I finish the book and a half I still have left in current series that I am reading.

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
He does something very similar in his short story 'Lord of the Dynamos' in which the power and complexity of an electrical dynamo are accorded divine status by an ignorant immigrant worker. IIRC his description of the machines operation is almost poetic.
Shame it gets spoiled by the racist language and attitudes but 'man of his time' and all that. I still consider Wells one of the greatest writers Britain has produced.
One of my earlier sci-fi author experiences was A. E. van Vogt. There were a number of short stories set in a future world where civilization is destroyed, but not the machines upon which it depended. As most societies tend to be dominated by the "priest-kings" who monopolize information, a caste of "scientists" arises who know how to operate and to repair the machines, but not how they work. They worship at the altars of atomic gods who "make the machines run."

From an anthology of van Vogt's stories, Transgalactic: "Society was a mix of modern and medieval, with armies riding on horseback into huge spaceships, and flying to human colonies on other planets to wage war with swords and arrows."

Ignorant immigrant workers are not alone in their science fiction delusions. It isn't H.G. Wells specific, but there are some similarities.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
My first encounter with Wells was an illustrated version of The Time Machine. The image of the traveller standing on an ocean shore on an Earth devoid of any life other than lichen is a pretty haunting (if inaccurate) picture.

Nov 2014
Maryland
At the end of the Tom Cruise film, the stars of the 1953 film, Gene Barry and Anne Robinson, make a cameo appearance as the grandparents.
Really! I never knew that!! Next time I watch it I'll watch for them at the end, in Boston. That is so clever, to have cast them in this movie.

Nov 2014
Maryland
I must recommend The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, Vol 2., as it deal with how the 'Martians' are driven from Mars, by John Carter and Gulliver Jones, and the subsequent War on Earth. It is such a fantastic work, bringing so many different characters together into one volume.

I suppose you know there was a movie out from that book, and not too long ago, maybe five years at most. I thought it was bizarre, bringing together all these fictional 19th century storybook heroes, but I didn't realize that there was actually a book. Sean Connery was in it, IIRC.

Vladd

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
England
I suppose you know there was a movie out from that book, and not too long ago, maybe five years at most. I thought it was bizarre, bringing together all these fictional 19th century storybook heroes, but I didn't realize that there was actually a book. Sean Connery was in it, IIRC.
It was 2003 so a bit more than five years ago :)