High school world history textbook recommendations

Sep 2015
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Hello:

I'm new to the forum. i've taught mostly English for the last 15 years. Since I'm also endorsed in social studies, my principal roped me into teaching sophomore World History this year. I'm thrilled! The problem is, our textbook is way over the kids' heads. We're using Ways of the World, by Robert Strayer. It's a fantastic book, but more appropriate for college and AP.

So, I'd love to hear your recommendations for World History textbooks. I'll make due with the one I have this year, but will spend the next few months assessing other texts, as I will probably have the opportunity to adopt a new book in the spring.

I'd also love to hear about any additional materials you've had success with, like articles, websites and videos.

Thanks,

Sprayticus

Oct 2011
the middle ground
I'm not a professional teacher, but I do like to (try and) keep up with the evolution of the world history "narrative". FWIW (i.e., take this enthusiastic amateur's opinion with a large pinch of salt...LOL):

World History: Patterns of Interaction is put together very well and easy to follow. It is the book I would choose of the five compared here in an article you may have already seen:
http://www.societyforhistoryeducation.org/pdfs/Marino.pdf

Also take a look at The Essential World History by Duiker and Spielvogel.

(Civilization Past and Present is a great title, but definitely college/AP level.)

Sep 2015
Santa Fe, New Mexico
I'm not a professional teacher, but I do like to (try and) keep up with the evolution of the world history "narrative". FWIW (i.e., take this enthusiastic amateur's opinion with a large pinch of salt...LOL):

World History: Patterns of Interaction is put together very well and easy to follow. It is the book I would choose of the five compared here in an article you may have already seen:
http://www.societyforhistoryeducation.org/pdfs/Marino.pdf

Also take a look at The Essential World History by Duiker and Spielvogel.

(Civilization Past and Present is a great title, but definitely college/AP level.)

Thank you so much! I'll read the article and check into those textbooks.

Similar History Discussions