Hindu God Ganesha is from Greeks ?

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
May be, but faith. Just like Jesus' resurrection and Mohammad's travel to heaven on Burrak. When did faith ask for verification? It is a good draw for tourists and pilgrims. ;)

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
so two feets,just?
i mean if this was really real then we would find such marks all over the place,and frankly this doesn't even look like a footmark,and this is a comeplete unfalsifiable claim.
you forgot to add ..... " and has nothing to do with what is being discussed " ;)

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Now, Specul8, you are needlessly casting aspersions on my integrity. That is not fair. May be the Gods became air borne after the two steps. Gods can always do that, particularly Hanuman ji. He crossed the Palk straight in one straight jump, and brought Sanjivani vati (herb) all the way from Drona Mountain in Himalayas to Sri Lanka in another (Roughly 1,500 miles). Actually the world record for long jump should belong to him. :)

Last edited:
Oct 2015
India
SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research

Since this thread is right now debating the issue of appropriation and deification of deities, this article might be interesting if anybody's interested in looking it up.
Hi Tornada,

The abstract available says that India was too diverse and that it is not correct to club the diversity into broad themes.

I do not subscribe to this view. To me it is an attempt (or these are attempts) to understand India from a typical rather narrow and short perspectives (say British history which hardly has any diversity relative to India).

India was a single political entity for very brief periods and trying to understand its history from political developments gives us a dis-continuous mass of information - Mauyas, Guptas, Harsha, Delhi Sultanate, Mughals, British, Period. Many of these changes (rise & falls) were due to military technology but this aspect is totally, completely, fully ignored.

As against the above culturally India has been a single entity for at least 2300 years. Once we start understanding common themes in cultural aspects then we get a feel for India: Development economy, of architecture, of dance / drama / music, literature, society, religion, and so on. In these there are broad and continuous developments which are subject of regional variations.

Indian History needs to be broadened and re-written.

May be you will agree.

Regards

Rajeev

Jul 2017
Sydney
@HaroldPandit why not from Japan as there is a corresponding Kami there?

I don't understand the Greek connection as elephant is native to Asia and Africa.

If you were to say south east Asia, for instance Indonesia or Thailand, it would make more sense, IMHO

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Kangi-ten (Japanese: "God of Bliss") is a god (deva or ten) in Shingon and Tendai schools of Japanese Buddhism. He is generally considered the Japanese Buddhist form of the Hindu elephant-headed god of wisdom, Ganesha and is sometimes also identified with the bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara. He is also known as Kanki-ten, Shō-ten ("sacred god" or "noble god"), Daishō-ten ("great noble god"), Daishō Kangi-ten (Tenson, "venerable god"), Kangi Jizai-ten, Shōden-sama, Vinayaka-ten, Binayaka-ten, Ganapatei and Zōbi-ten.
Kangiten - Wikipedia

By FullyFunctnlPhil - Flickr: IMG_0941, CC BY-SA 2.0, File:Ganesha Japan.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

"As the tanuki, the animal has been significant in Japanese folklore since ancient times. The legendary tanuki is reputed to be mischievous and jolly, a master of disguise and shapeshifting, but somewhat gullible and absentminded. It is also a common theme in Japanese art, especially statuary."
Japanese raccoon dog - Wikipedia

Jul 2017
Sydney
Kangi-ten (Japanese: "God of Bliss") is a god (deva or ten) in Shingon and Tendai schools of Japanese Buddhism. He is generally considered the Japanese Buddhist form of the Hindu elephant-headed god of wisdom, Ganesha and is sometimes also identified with the bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara. He is also known as Kanki-ten, Shō-ten ("sacred god" or "noble god"), Daishō-ten ("great noble god"), Daishō Kangi-ten (Tenson, "venerable god"), Kangi Jizai-ten, Shōden-sama, Vinayaka-ten, Binayaka-ten, Ganapatei and Zōbi-ten.
Kangiten - Wikipedia

By FullyFunctnlPhil - Flickr: IMG_0941, CC BY-SA 2.0, File:Ganesha Japan.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

"As the tanuki, the animal has been significant in Japanese folklore since ancient times. The legendary tanuki is reputed to be mischievous and jolly, a master of disguise and shapeshifting, but somewhat gullible and absentminded. It is also a common theme in Japanese art, especially statuary."
Japanese raccoon dog - Wikipedia
Wow! Japanese culture is so rich. Shintoism is such a fantastic philosophy. I love Japan

I recently read some historical drama set in Shogun era Japan and it was absolutely mesmerizing. There was this historical character called Miyamoto Musashi that was amazing

Similar History Discussions