Hindu rajput persecution of buddhism.

Apr 2018
Mythical land.
RC Dutt in his book "Epoch of india 2000 BC to 800 AD" mentions that rajputs burned buddhist books and demolish buddhits monasteries to buil temple.
Is it just a one off opinion or current consesus of community of historians.

or has any evidence to support this claim.

Aug 2015
USA
You may email the author for the source material, unless it is already mentioned in the book.

Hindu persecution of Buddhism/Buddhists is noted as one of the reasons for its disappearance from India, in most Indian history books.

Apr 2018
Mythical land.
You may email the author for the source material, unless it is already mentioned in the book.

Hindu persecution of Buddhism/Buddhists is noted as one of the reasons for its disappearance from India, in most Indian history books.
Most of my research has pointed out to rivalry between hindu and buddhist in terms of patronage rather than persecution.
persecution was done by muslims.

But i have read the book by RC Dutt in which he describes rajput period(a misnomer as we don't even know how rajput identity was even formed) as "dark age of india" and mentions that buddhist were religiously persecuted with violence meeted out to them.
This is the reason for the thread,i wanted to know whether this is consesus of historians or just a one of opinion(cause even RC Dutt didn't mention any example of the said persecution anywhere in his book)

If you have supplement material,please provide them here,thanks.

And email seems impossible as RC Dutt is long dead.....

Aug 2015
USA
Most of my research has pointed out to rivalry between hindu and buddhist in terms of patronage rather than persecution.
persecution was done by muslims.

But i have read the book by RC Dutt in which he describes rajput period(a misnomer as we don't even know how rajput identity was even formed) as "dark age of india" and mentions that buddhist were religiously persecuted with violence meeted out to them.
This is the reason for the thread,i wanted to know whether this is consesus of historians or just a one of opinion(cause even RC Dutt didn't mention any example of the said persecution anywhere in his book)

If you have supplement material,please provide them here,thanks.

And email seems impossible as RC Dutt is long dead.....
Could you provide the quote from the book, if it is not that long?

Apr 2018
Mythical land.
Could you provide the quote from the book, if it is not that long?
"For it was in the Dark Age that religious persecution began in India. Monasteries were demolished, monks were banished, and books were burnt: and wherever the Rajputs became rulers, Buddhist edifices went down and Hindu temples arose. By the end of the 10th century, Buddhism was practically stamped out from India, and the work of destruction was completed by the Muslims who succeeded the Rajputs as masters of India "

Pg 151,Ancient India 2000 BC to 800 AD.

The book is quite old.
Ancient India, 2000 B. C.-800 A. D.

Aug 2015
USA
Anti-Buddhist persecution in ancient India:

"Anti-Buddhist persecution was not wholly unknown at this time. In the 6th century the Huna King mihirikula destroyed monasteries and killed monks. A fanatical Saivite king of Bengal Sasanka, in the course of an attack on Kanyakubja at the very beginning of the 7th century, almost destroyed the Tree of Wisdom at Gaya. There are other less reliable accounts of persecution, ------------"
- From 'The wonder that was India' by Prof A. L. Basham (p. 267)

Apr 2018
Mythical land.
Anti-Buddhist persecution in ancient India:

"Anti-Buddhist persecution was not wholly unknown at this time. In the 6th century the Huna King mihirikula destroyed monasteries and killed monks. A fanatical Saivite king of Bengal Sasanka, in the course of an attack on Kanyakubja at the very beginning of the 7th century, almost destroyed the Tree of Wisdom at Gaya. There are other less reliable accounts of persecution, ------------"
- From 'The wonder that was India' by Prof A. L. Basham (p. 267)
i know about these two guys.Mihirkula was an exception who was defeated by guptas(who were hindus and patron of both hinduism and buddhism)
and sasanka's story is very unreliable because it talks about an event that happened 600 before the writer(who also was a buddhist) wrote it.

i was more or less looking for any evidence of systemic persecution by hindus to buddhist or buddhism.(like islamic or christian persecution of hinduism,in islamic sultanates and portuguese inquisition respectively).

Apr 2015
India
White Huns persecuted Buddhists and back then they were not even Hindus. Although later on White Huns themselves ended up adopting Hinduism as their religion. Rajputs find mention in Indian history at much later stage. There are numerous theories about descendants of White Huns but none of them is supported by proofs.

Aug 2015
USA
i was more or less looking for any evidence of systemic persecution by hindus to buddhist or buddhism.(like islamic or christian persecution of hinduism,in islamic sultanates and portuguese inquisition respectively).
Outright evidence of Hindu persecution of Buddhists is hard to come by, because Indians didn't write history. Even evidence for the Muslim persecution of Hindus and the Portuguese Inquisition in Goa come from Muslim and Portuguese sources respectively. There is hardly anything from the Hindu side. So historians use conjecture to infer Hindu persecution of Buddhists based on indirect evidence, and the ambiance of the times.

For example, Historian Sreedhara Menon writes in book 'A survey of Kerala History', about the time of 8th - 9th centuries when Kerala was Hinduised by foreign Aryan missionaries:

"The new Aryan missionaries devoted all their attention to propaganda against Buddhism and Jainism whose hold on the people was the main stumbling block to the success of their ideology and before long these religions lost their following among the people. It is also possible that the Aryan missionaries resorted to a deliberate policy of destroying Buddhist Viharas and images. The broken and damaged Buddhist images obtained from places such as Karumadi and Pallikal, perhaps, bear testimony to this. ----" (p.105).

Similar History Discussions