Historian's View On War Movies

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
That was often true. There were plenty of people who weren't strongly committed to either side and mostly wanted to be left alone.

That doesn't change however that Mr. Beevor made an incorrect statement on the level of support for King George in the colonies. Tories were always a minority, albeit a sizable one.
That the Patriot militias controlled almost all the areas of the rebelling colonies not directly controlled by British regular troops strongly implies that considerably more people favored the rebellion than opposed it.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
That the Patriot militias controlled almost all the areas of the rebelling colonies not directly controlled by British regular troops strongly implies that considerably more people favored the rebellion than opposed it.
Indeed.

Or that the Loyalist population in many areas was terrorized by patriots and forced to flee as refugees to places like Canada. The migration of Loyalists to Canada began during the war.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
Or that the Loyalist population in many areas was terrorized by patriots and forced to flee as refugees to places like Canada. The migration of Loyalists to Canada began during the war.
No doubt. This too would seem to indicate more people favored the rebellion than were against it.

Mar 2013
Stafford, VA
This is incorrect, blacks did fight shoulder to shoulder with whites in the US Revolutionary army. The British treated the slaves that came to their side badly, used them as manual labor only and abandoned them at the end of the war.

"Andrew Marr rightly called The Patriot, set in the American war of independence, “a stinker”. As he pointed out: “Black Americans, in fact destined to stay slaves thanks to the war, very many of whom enlisted with the British, are shown fighting shoulder to shoulder with their white rebel ‘brothers’. "

Jan 2017
UK
Original article doesn't even mention Sam Fuller, who served as an infantryman during WW2 & later directed several war films based on his experiences. Admittedly they didn't have the highest budget, just would've been interested in Beevor's opinion on those.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
I used to get upset like the rest, then I remembered that historically, actors are considered the scum of the earth for a reason.

Why would anyone expect the film industry, full of bad people whose goals are simply to make money (in order to live licentiously) by pretending to be someone they aren't, to get history right? Do they get anything else right? Is there any portrayal of anything ever made that is correct? Probably not.

Lower your standards, accept them for what they are, jesters to entertain you.

Oct 2015
Belfast
I recently saw the movie "Unbroken". It's a true story of an American Olympic champion Louis Zamperini who competes in the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Yes, the Hakenkreuz is visible in that scene.

He volunteers to serve as a bombardier on a B24 Liberator in the Pacific theatre. His badly-maintained aircraft crashes into the sea, leaving he and two other survivors to drift in a rubber dinghy for 47 days until two of them are picked up by a Japanese Navy warship.

Zamperini is taken to a POW camp in Tokyo where he is subjected to graphic, brutal and sadistic beatings by a Corporal Watanabe. An NCO who resents the fact that he's not good enough to be an officer and takes it out on Zamperini.

I hated Watanabe for every blow struck on Zamperini. At the risk of incurring the wrath of the moderators, by the end of the movie, my hatred of Sergeant Watanabe (He was promoted) was such, I was thinking, "No wonder they had two nukes dropped on them!"

There's a real sense of elation when a B29 Superfortress overflies the prison camp.