Historic Customs House Location?

Nov 2019
New Jersey
Hello, I’m new to the forum, but happy to be here. I found this photo in my wife’s grandfathers house years ago. No one in the family knows what the image is from and it has been vexing me! It looks like a seaport and customs house, but I. Have not been able to successfully research it.

Does anyone recognize the location?!?!? Thank you!8700A76D-3CA2-4479-BCD6-D91060F09F5C.jpeg

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I believe those pics are from New Jersey. The outline in the background could be Fort Regent
Where is St Helier , NJ? There isn't much named for saints in that part of the US. There is a St. Helier, Jersey. Fort Regent is also in Jersey, not New Jersey. Do you mean somewhere else in NJ.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
Where is St Helier , NJ? There isn't much named for saints in that part of the US. There is a St. Helier, Jersey. Fort Regent is also in Jersey, not New Jersey. Do you mean somewhere else in NJ.
Hmm, I got confused as the poster is from New Jersey and a search of New Jersey gave me these pics.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
OK, so maybe it is St. Helier, Jersey. The names sound more British. The name Saint Helior dates to medieval times. Early New Jersey was strongly protestant. Regents have to do with monarchies.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
OK, so maybe it is St. Helier, Jersey. The names sound more British. The name Saint Helior dates to medieval times. Early New Jersey was strongly protestant. Regents have to do with monarchies.
The lack of wooden buildings might offer a clue as well.