Historical accuracy of HBO's miniseries "Chernobyl"

Apr 2019
Europe
I have spoken with some old people in Lithuania about Germans and Russians during World Wars. People to whom I spoke seem to like Germans much more than Russians. Germans were oppressors, but they brought law and order with them. Russians often were seen as agents of chaos. Couple of examples Germans lived in old Woman's house, ate her vegetables without paying or compensating her in any way. But they were also were taking care of everything, soldiers were removing weeds, when they left they even brought her seeds that they collected. Russians came ordered her to bring food and drink and left horrible mess after them. These are small things, but people remember.
In my region there were no Russians until late January 1945.

Only Germans between September 1939 and January 1945.

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
The modern West is in many aspects similar to the Soviet Union from 1986.
Come on. Famous phrase from 1986: 'There is no sex in the USSR'. USSR also discriminated against disabled people, so in the 1986 one activist issued a book 'There aren't disabled people in the USSR'.

Sep 2016
Georgia
So far what's astonishing about the series, which is popular in Russia and Ukraine, is that no one has been able to point out any glaring errors in the depiction of life in the USSR as it was and looked back in the 1970's. The attention to detail is apparently astonishing.

But since there hasn't been any obvious glaring misrepresentations, the Russian authorities so far have clearly opted for trying to just ignore the series.
Russians don't say Vladimir I. Lenin.

When adults also talk to each other respectfully, they usually use ,, Mikhail Irvandych '' or ,, Boris Nicholaevich ''.

Last edited:
Sep 2016
Georgia
Come on. Famous phrase from 1986: 'There is no sex in the USSR'. USSR also discriminated against disabled people, so in the 1986 one activist issued a book 'There aren't disabled people in the USSR'.
,, There is no sex in the USSR '' meant, that there is no sex in Soviet media : TV, movies and etc. However, there was already a scene with a woman stripping herself to seduce a man in the ,, Diamond arm '' ( Soviet movie of 1969 ).

Last edited:
Sep 2016
Georgia
But also let's conveniently forget that people of color were treated like garbage in ,, Democratic '' USA up until 1970's. There was also a very prevalent homophobia in USA and Europe at that time.

Apr 2019
Europe
(...) but as the series teaches us:

"The truth doesn't care about our needs or wants. It doesn't care about our governments, our ideologies, our religions. It will lie in wait for all time."

And today the West is the society that ignores the truth more than Putin's Russia.

I'm also talking about how you ignore truths about biological differences between men and women, how you suppress conservatives, how you place political correctness above free speech, etc.
I forgot about the first part (also very important):

"To be a scientist is to be naive. We are so focused on our search for truth, we fail to consider how few actually want us to find it. But it is always there, whether we see it or not, whether we choose to or not."

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Only if Russian history is "anti-Russian".

But of course these days actual Russian history IS precisely "anti-Russian", according to the principles set down by the Russian government.

Which is why Russians couldn't make a TV-series like "Chernobyl".
The Russians are actually making their own TV series about Chernobyl.

A key difference in the plot - and probably a change that will come as a surprise to no one - is that the Russian version will allege that the disaster was the work of a CIA agent. Alexei Muradov, the director, has stated, "One theory holds that Americans had infiltrated the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and many historians do not deny that, on the day of the explosion, an agent of the enemy’s intelligence services was present at the station.”

Considering the Russian take on Chernobyl seems to be a mix of nationalism and conspiracy theories from the Tinfoil Hat Wearers Union, it's a good thing HBO and Sky got there first.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Russians don't say Vladimir I. Lenin.

When adults also talk to each other respectfully, they usually use ,, Mikhail Irvandych '' or ,, Boris Nicholaevich ''.
So on balance it is a good series about the USSR on which any amount of Russian fault-finding can be poured with surprisingly little issue. But nevertheless the fault-finding must continue, because God Forbid someone not-Russian managing to successfully represent Soviets? The sky will fall!

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
For anyone wanting to catch up on the story led changes, ask the series writer and creator

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
German crimes on Eastern front are very underrepresented in Western media.
I was listening today an interview with an historian on the massacre in Oradour-sur-Glane, perpetrated by SS "das Reich" (more than 600 men, women and children) on June 10'th, 1944.

In his presentation of SS "das Reich", for making us listeners understand who is about, he said something like: "if You want to imagine better what we are talking about, You must remember that before they were moved in France, the the SS "das Reich" perpetrated hundreds of Oradours in Ukraine and Biélorussia, for years" ...

Reactions: Gvelion