Historical accuracy of HBO's miniseries "Chernobyl"

Sep 2016
Georgia
So on balance it is a good series about the USSR on which any amount of Russian fault-finding can be poured with surprisingly little issue. But nevertheless the fault-finding must continue, because God Forbid someone not-Russian managing to successfully represent Soviets? The sky will fall!
You are acting like Western media always represented Russia properly. Russians are even famous for being regular bad guys in many Hollywood blockbuster movies.

There are cultural things, that the series fails to pick up on. It's not an issue, but you can spot it.

I would also like to see the reaction of Americans, if somebody from the other country with their own actors made something similar on 9/11. Trust me, so many Americans would be nitpicking that show.

What ? Only blacks, asians and latinos have the right to criticize pieces of media on ,, not proper representation of their culture '' ? Just shows the level of schizophrenia in the modern West.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
The actors and actresses are mostly Westerners but they look similar to the real people they play.

Some characters like Wasilij Ignatenko (Adam Nagaitis) are even played by East European actors.
The point is they tried to make it as authentic as it possibly can be and Chernobyl is situated in Pripyat which is in Ukraine, former USSR. I understand their target audience is elsewhere and subtitles present certain prob for them, but still the only correct way to achieve historical accuracy would be to use Ukranian and Russian speaking actors and actresses only. As already mentioned there are precedents with Mel Gibson's 'Apocalypto' and 'The Passion of the Christ' which were by the way huge box office successes.

EDIT: By the way watch their interviews, Harris and Skarsgard said that they look nothing like the people they played.

Last edited:
Nov 2015
Kyiv
A few days ago the presentation of the new book The Chernobyl KGB Dossier took place in Ukraine. The book has hundreds of secret KGB documents about this accident, very interesting. The book is in Ukrainian and the documents - in Russian - it was the language of the KGB.

A free electronic version of the book in pdf-format already became available, too. It is here - press light - gray lettering to download the file at the bottom of the page.

Книга "Чорнобильське досьє КҐБ"

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
You are acting like Western media always represented Russia properly. Russians are even famous for being regular bad guys in many Hollywood blockbuster movies.

There are cultural things, that the series fails to pick up on. It's not an issue, but you can spot it.

I would also like to see the reaction of Americans, if somebody from the other country with their own actors made something similar on 9/11. Trust me, so many Americans would be nitpicking that show.

What ? Only blacks, asians and latinos have the right to criticize pieces of media on ,, not proper representation of their culture '' ? Just shows the level of schizophrenia in the modern West.
There is a whole genre of German TV dramas set in Sweden – in German, with German actors, with plots penned by Germans making no sense to Swedes. They're all totally unwatchable for Swedes.

But oh, the poor thin-skinned Russians, for whom everything is a studied insult. And if it can't be detected, it must nevertheless be there, and so the search for how everyone is always and endlessly insulting Russia goes on. Especially when the insult can't be detected.

It's bizarre. Like Russia putting on a show at the Sochi olympics for the world, but in their own meta-discussion of the show stick to the line that no one will understand any of it anyway (why do it then, unless the desire is precisely for confirmation of being ignored and insulted) – because everyone just insults Russia by somehow not being Russian...

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Russians are even famous for being regular bad guys in many Hollywood blockbuster movies.
Same complaint can be made by the English, the French, and the Germans – just for starters.

But oh, the Russian pain and incomprehension why everyone is forever against them is the greatest!

Sep 2016
Georgia
There is a whole genre of German TV dramas set in Sweden – in German, with German actors, with plots penned by Germans making no sense to Swedes. They're all totally unwatchable for Swedes.

But oh, the poor thin-skinned Russians, for whom everything is a studied insult. And if it can't be detected, it must nevertheless be there, and so the search for how everyone is always and endlessly insulting Russia goes on. Especially when the insult can't be detected.
Nobody said that it was the insult. The only one with thin skin here is you, judging by the way you act. We get it, you hate Russia.

Stop getting so triggered, just because someone pointed out inaccuracies in TV Show.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
But those can also be the heroes. Are there any big Western films with a Russian as a hero?

Now, back on topic, I find it fascinating that those 3 men actually survived.
Anna Karenina perhaps? Who is the hero in Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina?
--------
I have to add that i like very much/enjoy the works of Mr. Harris and Mr. Skarsgard. Both talented and gifted actors.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
But those can also be the heroes. Are there any big Western films with a Russian as a hero?
War and Peace. Doctor Zhivago. Russia House. Enemy at the gates. Etc.

I thought it was pretty fun back in the 1980's when one of the US TV channels made a miniseries of the life of Peter the Great, and of course the Swedes were the villains – Fascist degenerate neo-darwinians who deservedly got out-darwined a century-and-a-half before Darwinism, sort of 18th c. Nazis-before-Nazis. And that was the the line taken by the Americans, for narrative purposes.

Really, my impression is that Russians in general seem to put FAR too much store in the significance of narrative tropes. Then again one of the problems of contemporary Russia, just like it was for the USSR before it, that too much of the reality it inhabits is actually made up of narrative tropes in lieu of parts of reality considered problematic...

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Nobody said that it was the insult. The only one with thin skin here is you, judging by the way you act. We get it, you hate Russia.

Stop getting so triggered, just because someone pointed out inaccuracies in TV Show.
Actually I think there is something significant about Russia in those reactions of fault-finding. Not least since it seems something not quite on the table for discussion.

Similar History Discussions