Historical accuracy of HBO's miniseries "Chernobyl"

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I thought it was pretty fun back in the 1980's when one of the US TV channels made a miniseries of the life of Peter the Great, and of course the Swedes were the villains – Fascist degenerate neo-darwinians who deservedly got out-darwined a century-and-a-half before Darwinism, sort of 18th c. Nazis-before-Nazis. And that was the the line taken by the Americans, for narrative purposes.
Haha, well the Swedes themselves made a mini-series called Snapphanar in which the Swedes are the villains.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Haha, well the Swedes themselves made a mini-series called Snapphanar in which the Swedes are the villains.
Oh the fun that was had with Scanians, Blekingians and Hallanders, who today of course are Swedes themselves. ;)

But, as for the real history behind that rather weird TV historical romance, back when king Charles XI was still on the 500-kronor bill, there were a number of parishes on the south of Sweden where the inhabitants on principle refused to use that denomination, because of what said king did to their villages back in the 17th c...

Sep 2016
Georgia
Actually I think there is something significant about Russia in those reactions of fault-finding. Not least since it seems something not quite on the table for discussion.
I've seen plenty of Russians, who actually thought that USSR invading Poland in 1939 was the right thing to do. Many also believe that ,, the West '' was their enemy for centuries and wanted to destroy ,, poor Russia ''.

In some schools they even taught kids that Russia never attacked another country and never lost the war. How crazy is that ? Many regular Russians still believe that ridiculous myth to this day.

They love to take all the credit as well.

Russians also generally believe that they've brought prosperity and progress to other nations in their Empire.

Last edited:
Reactions: macon

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Oh the fun that was had with Scanians, Blekingians and Hallanders, who today of course are Swedes themselves. ;)

But, as for the real history behind that rather weird TV historical romance, back when king Charles XI was still on the 500-kronor bill, there were a number of parishes on the south of Sweden where the inhabitants on principle refused to use that denomination, because of what said king did to their villages back in the 17th c...
Haha, but it is funny. A country makes a show and presents itself as a villain. Though, if I remember correctly, at the end of the miniseries, the main character saves Charles XI's life and the king gains respect for him or something like that. I watched it a long time ago without subtitles and I cannot speak Swedish.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Haha, but it is funny. A country makes a show and presents itself as a villain. Though, if I remember correctly, at the end of the miniseries, the main character saves Charles XI's life and the king gains respect for him or something like that. I watched it a long time ago without subtitles and I cannot speak Swedish.
Funny because it's a way of doing it people are less used to than outright nationalist propaganda?

Besides, everyone who isn't actually Danish in that series IS Swedish by modern standards.

If you haven't seen it I also recommend the Danish series "1864", about the Second Schleswig-Holstein war, made by the Danes and clearly presenting their own political and military leadership as a bunch of dangerous idiots. It's the Prussians in the guise of Bismarck and Moltke who represent the Voice of Reason by comparison.

Also you only need to read Walter Scot's novels form the 19th c. – the ones that defined the modern historical novel – to find precisely that kind if set-up complexity of who is right and who is wrong already there. Scot was a Scottish patriot, but was 100% convinced Scotland had no future except in union with much larger England. And so while he would write about the heroic highlanders and their last stand at Culloden (Scot's first novel, "Waverly", published 1814), his sympathies were also with the Campbells who had seen the future and pledged their allegiance to the English union king.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Funny because it's a way of doing it people are less used to than outright nationalist propaganda?

Besides, everyone who isn't actually Danish in that series IS Swedish by modern standards.

If you haven't seen it I also recommend the Danish series "1864", about the Second Schleswig-Holstein war, made by the Danes and clearly presenting their own political and military leadership as a bunch of dangerous idiots. It's the Prussians in the guise of Bismarck and Moltke who represent the Voice of Reason by comparison.
Well, it's not like Snapphanar presents both sides as grey, it just straight up presents Sweden as the enemy and a pretty brutal enemy. If I recall correctly, the Swedes attack the main character's home and kill his family forcing him to take refuge with the Danish. And I remember one of the characters getting brutally shot by the Swedish officers and screaming: For Skane, Swedish *swear word*.

Apr 2019
U.S.A.
For what it’s worth, I worked at one time in a nuclear power plant here in the USA. We had the Chernobyl desaster in our training as well as TMI. As far as that powerplant explosion goes, no less than 7 steps that could have prevented the desaster were not done. MANY were bypassed safety features. From what my memory recalls a military or government authority wanted to do testing and ordered the operators to do so beyond the point of control.
Problem # 1. Our nuclear plants have highly trained, licensed operators at the controls. checks and verifications to eliminate these kinds of semi-knowledable or laymen from ordering anyone to do anything is in place and an entire group of federal codes forbid it and is enforced by the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission (USNRC)
Apparrently, they did not

Problem #2 if you look at our Nuclear power plants, you’ll see huge concrete domes to contain the nuclear reator. That concrete is THICK enough to survive a passenger jet direct hit. Chernobyl did not. If fact the containment consisted of corrugated tin roofing.

Problem #3 grafite reators were outlawed in most western countries, and certainly in the US. Our reators are flooded with coolant. Ours automatically shut down when certain things happen and will not be bypassed. (Dont ask, I was not an operator)

From what I understand, TMI could have also been prevented, one area I know of is that valves freeze or sieze if not manipulated and several of their vlvs had frozen shut. Ever since, it is mandatory to manipulate critical valves in all the power plants.

The most dangerous time for any nuclear power plant is when it is down and off line for repairs. They drain the reactor to “low inventory” for do repairs to the steam generators. Those are the huge heat exchangers that cool the reactor.

No one died at TMI and in Japan they died from the explosion or flooding by the tsunamis. No one yet has died that I am aware of. In chernobyl I believe the ones who went in to shovel hi rad material sucked in so many zoomies they suffered rad poisoning. The half life is the bad part of it all and the long term exposure harm . In Japan, the operators chocked the relief valve in containment so radiation would not excape, it pressurized and exploded. Check YOUR relief valve on your hot water heater at home, same type of valve, just bigger.

I still think that nuclear power is the less harmful to the enviroment and are safe. Any power plant can blow up, any battery can also explode for those who think solar or wind is the answer.

Zip

Jan 2018
Comancheria
I gave up on the veracity of the series when it portrayed victims of radioation exposure as themselves being sources of radiation, as though it were an infection.

I've seen foolishness in nuclear plants that would curl your toes, most often from plant management wanting to cut corners. I could tell you stories for hours.

Apr 2019
Europe
Cities and towns in Poland's Eastern Borderlands were mostly Polish and Jewish or Jewish and Polish inhabited indeed.

Here is the data for 22 largest towns within pre-1939 Eastern Poland (Chernobyl was in the USSR already before 1939):

Reactions: macon and Gvelion