Historical Bias

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Screw you mate, you didn't even mention Russia. Don't mention the UK and US, they did nothing in comparison to Russia. Compare how many Russian soldiers fought in the war to how many black people did you Russiaphobe! You should be embarrassed of yourself
Yea, how could he forget Stalin, the amazing general who saved many Jews. He saved more people than he killed, so don't look at him negatively
Ah, so which is it? Do you have unusually warped views, or are you an idealistic juvenile? Or just a newfound keyboard warrior without any concept of etiquette?

If I see another post with this kind of language, your membership of this forum will be very short.
Amen to that

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Screw you mate, you didn't even mention Russia. Don't mention the UK and US, they did nothing in comparison to Russia. Compare how many Russian soldiers fought in the war to how many black people did you Russiaphobe! You should be embarrassed of yourself
Please explain why Russia joined Nazi Germany in carving up Poland.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Please explain why Russia joined Nazi Germany in carving up Poland.
1st Axiom of conflict. Never fight a war on your ground when you can fight it on someone else's. There was also the matter of the Soviet Polish war that needed to be revenged.

Reactions: Edratman

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Do we have biases when we study history? By that I mean, when we look at a conflict involving two countries or peoples, do we tend to think of one side as "the bad guy," and the other as "the good guy."

For Example.

Everyone knows WWII.
UK US are the good guys and Germany and Japan are the bad guys.Right?
But the UK had a huge chunk of the world conquered prior to WWII. They came out of WWI with more conquests than before, when Germany is often thought as the conquerer.
Japan was brutal and conquered a lot of Asia but most of the conquests were places that were just conquests of white peoples. Dutch East Indies, Phillipines, Indo-China, Burma, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia. I'm not saying WW I and II shouldn't have been fought. I'm talking about the perception of our minds on good guy bad guy.
You make some good points here, but you seem to be saying that “because the British colonies were seized in the first place, it was OK for Japan to ‘steal’ them from the British”. So, one theft deserves another. I won’t defend British Colonialism but I can’t defend Japan from doing exactly the same thing. I should add that British Colonialism was much more humane than the Japanese one that replaced it. Manque de logique.

Persia vs Greece. Persia is the bad guy, but Greece is the good guy.
Alexander the Great is seen as some great guy conquering Persia. But then we have Ghengis Khan the conquerer. He's usually seen as some asiatic barbarian. Alexander brings light to the Middle East, but the Ottomans taking over Byzantium and moving toward Vienna are The Enemy At The Gate.
I can’t get worked up about Alexander the Great.

Cowboys and Indians is another classic. The Indians are the bad guys. They are savage and scalp people, and the murderous Cowboys and American Calvary committing genocide are the brave good guys.
It is quite true that American Indians lost the Indian Wars (which had been going on since the 17th century before there was an ‘America’). The Indians lost and were moved to western reservations. This was a classic collision of First World vs Third World civilizations. Contrary to what some folks might think, the Indians were not exterminated. I don’t have figures to hand here, but I believe many American Indians don’t actually live on reservations but have melted into the general population. Yes, there were a few instances of massacres committed by the whites against the reds, but of course there were massacres in the other directions as well, and, sometimes the Indians fought on British or French sides depending on the issue at hand.

The Islamic Empire. The Muslims come into France but are stopped by the brave Charles The Hammer Martel. Whew! He saved France from the barbarians. Meanwhile Cordova in Islamic Spain becomes the jewel of Europe. And Baghdad is the center of the world's learning.
Brave Richard the LionHeart leads the Crusade against the Muslims, who see the Europeans the same way the Europeans see the vikings. A bunch of barbarians bringing nothing but death.
Let’s just say that I am glad the Muslims lost. I shudder to think what a fully Muslim Europe would be like today.

Brave Israel is beseiged by the Arabs. (This is one that I was seriously mistaken about for a very long time:( ). Meanwhile the Palestinians are stuck in a network of prison walls and getting pulverized by Israel's firepower and determination to wipe them out.
99.9% of the Middle East is in Arab hands. Repeated attempts - all unsuccessful - by the Arabs to wipe this tiny country off the map have been unsuccessful. The wonder is what the Arabs fear about Israel. The Arabs could learn a lot from Israel, but instead are determined to destroy it.

Then there's the Yellow Menace of the early 1900's. However it was the Europeans who tried carving China up.
Yes, the Europeans were in China (as was a small US presence); however, you have somehow - conveniently? - forgotten that it was the Japanese who seized huge parts of China in the 1930s. Memory lapse? I think not.

As Historians should we be fighting against these biases? Should we talk about history is a more neutral way?
By all means. Just stick to the facts.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
You make some good points here, but you seem to be saying that “because the British colonies were seized in the first place, it was OK for Japan to ‘steal’ them from the British”. So, one theft deserves another. I won’t defend British Colonialism but I can’t defend Japan from doing exactly the same thing. I should add that British Colonialism was much more humane than the Japanese one that replaced it. Manque de logique.

I can’t get worked up about Alexander the Great.

That post was made NINE years ago.

You are suspended for three days.

Learn to read the dates. Next time, it won't be so short.