Historical Figures and Who Should Play Them

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Yep, a good job portraying a nasty piece of work, the rutlhess Edward Long Shanks. At least he's tall enough.

In Black Adder;

Who's that?

That's your son, Black Adder

Oh ,yes, the SLIMY one

I think this was around the time of the terrible accident, when Black Adder got this guy to stick his head into the mouth of a canon..

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
I learnt that actors that played Romans should have British / English 'Posh' accent in order to suspend the disbelief of the Americans in watching an ancient Roman speaking their native language. So British actors only I presume.

Sep 2016
Georgia
I learnt that actors that played Romans should have British / English 'Posh' accent in order to suspend the disbelief of the Americans in watching an ancient Roman speaking their native language. So British actors only I presume.
Honestly, American obsession with accents never made sense to me.

Like when people were complaining about Irish accents in ,, Alexander ''. Guys, you are watching movie about that historical period in English. You do know that none of those people spoke that language, right ? Why does it matter so much for you that Alexander has Irish accent in the movie ?

Film should have actors trying to speak in Ancient Greek than, for example. However, nobody would watch it. American audiences also really don't like reading subtitles in general.

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Honestly, American obsession with accents never made sense to me.

Like when people were complaining about Irish accents in ,, Alexander ''. Guys, you are watching movie about that historical period in English. You do know that none of those people spoke that language, right ? Why does it matter so much for you that Alexander has Irish accent in the movie ?

Film should have actors trying to speak in Ancient Greek than, for example. However, nobody would watch it. American audiences also really don't like reading subtitles in general.
Idd, the language should be the one of the primary viewing audience, the Americans in the case of Hollywood in order they to be able to understand it. Imagine for the sake of 'historical accuracy' a movie about the Conqueror where actors speak Norman French and Old English reconstructed by the way since they are both dead lingvae. We all gonna need subtitles. Well, we are ok with these on this continent, but they are not.

Similar History Discussions