Historical long-lasting territorial disputes?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which cases have there been of historical, long-lasting (relatively significant) territorial disputes between two countries which have already been decisively and permanently resolved by now?

As of right now, I can think of:

Alsace-Lorraine (disputed between 1871 and 1918, and then again between 1940 and 1945 if one considers the Free French government of Charles de Gaulle to be the legitimate government of France):

In 1945, this dispute was decisively and permanently resolved in France's favor.

The German-Polish border (disputed between 1919 and 1934 and again between 1939 and 1970/1990):

As far as I know, this dispute was provisionally resolved in Poland's favor in 1970 and permanently resolved in Poland's favor in 1990.

I suppose that some territorial disputes in southeastern Europe might qualify for this; for example, I would think that Transylvania (or at least large parts of it) were highly coveted by both Hungarian and Romanian governments for decades before this territorial dispute was decisively resolved in Romania's favor in 1947.

That said, though, which other (relatively significant) territorial disputes am I forgetting to list/state here?

Any thoughts on this?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Also, wasn't Northern Ireland previously disputed between the U.K. (Britain) and the Republic of Ireland for several decades (up to the late 1990s, when Ireland gave up its claim to Northern Ireland)? :

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In addition, didn't Chile and Peru have a territorial dispute between 1883 and 1929, when this territorial dispute was finally resolved with the Tacna-Arica compromise? :

Oct 2014
Germany
I am not so sure about that; plus, either way, Gibraltar's area is too small for the purposes of this thread and question.
^^ and the gibralta question isnt solved. As i understand this thread was this a criteria as well...

Otherwise you could add whole israel/palestina - Falkland islands - Kaschmir - some japanese islands (russia/japan and china/japan) - some korean islands (north/south) - zyprus - independency if Kurdistan

And the Alsace-Lorraine question was way older as 1871 - for centuries it was part of the HRE, till france conquered it

Last edited:

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
^^ and the gibralta question isnt solved. As i understand this thread was this a criteria as well...

Otherwise you could add whole israel/palestina - Falkland islands - Kaschmir - some japanese islands (russia/japan and china/japan) - some korean islands (north/south) - zyprus - independency if Kurdistan

And the Alsace-Lorraine question was way older as 1871 - for centuries it was part of the HRE, till france conquered it
That is a bit more complicated

Lorraine left the HRE in 1542

Vertrag von Nürnberg ? Wikipedia

Apr 2015
Pyrinos Polemos
The German-Polish border (disputed between 1919 and 1934 and again between 1939 and 1970/1990)
More like "disputed between 963 / 972 and 1990", of course with some long periods of peace between subsequent stages of dispute.

disputed between 1919 and 1934
That dispute started already in year 1918.

and again between 1939 and 1970/1990
That dispute started already in October 1938.

Last edited:

Jim Casy

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Scotland
Also, wasn't Northern Ireland previously disputed between the U.K. (Britain) and the Republic of Ireland for several decades (up to the late 1990s, when Ireland gave up its claim to Northern Ireland)? :

What became the Republic of Ireland has not given up its claim to Northern Ireland. The claim is actually written in to their constitution. What changed (by constitutional amendment) was that they now pursue it through 'peaceful' means.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions