Historical Photo Quiz

Mar 2007
Hi All,

I found a viral photo quiz that might be interesting for those of you who likes to research heritage

photos. The idea is pretty simple. There are photos hosted on a site called Fototagger Galleries.

Each photo is "annotated" that is contains tags with callouts pointing to particular details and explaining them. Tags can be hidden in a click, original image remains intact. If you copy-and-paste a link to the photo to a blog/forum/other site, etc., you see just the original photo, without tags and callouts.

However, that photo comes with a question. You should investigate the picture to answer the

question. To get an answer or check yourself, you click a link below the photo. The link brings you to the Fototagger Galleries site where you see the photo with tags that answer the question.

For example:

Can you see the defense wall on the right border the colony? You definitely know what is located on the place of this wall. Just try to identify the place...

Click here to get an answer

I will be glad if you like it. We could try to play...

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
YES!! I got it right. I said it was New York and the Manhattan area. The wall gave it away.

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Wow!

Welcome PhotoHistorian. By all means, let's play! I enjoy looking at old maps very much.

I went to the one of Washington D.C. at -

http://galleries.fototagger.com/link.php?action=detailimage&id=526&sort=11

Do you see those two "comb-shaped" buildings just north of the reflecting pool east of the Lincoln Memorial? Those are the old Navy Annex buildings. I remember them! They were torn down in the '60s. We lived a few miles to the left of the map in Falls Church.

Mar 2007
Hi Lucius!

It's really cool to recognize familiar places on maps, especially on the old ones when you know how these places looked in the past.

By the way, did you see that picture:

Many European cities want to be named the center of the European Union. However, there is only one center. Where is it?

Click here to get an asnwer

Personally, I answered wrong :)

Lucius

Forum Staff
Jan 2007
Nebraska
Yeah, I got it wrong too. I forgot about Iceland.

So, Kleinmaischeid. Ummmm, Bernkastel.

Mar 2007
Hey, what about this one:

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, Israel is controlled by different confessions. After many years of permanent conflicts they finally reached a compromise and agreed to keep status quo. There is a symbol of this status quo on the photo. What is it?

Click here to get an answer

Oct 2007
I didn't guess, gotta read more on that. But i found interesting information on the problems of the silver u.s. silver dollar throughout history.

Last edited: