Historical precedents of the Chinese cultural revolution.

Sep 2018
Germany
A person rather hostile towards China did make the argument that "The cultural revolution was the norm for China" and that regular millinarian peasant uprisings like the Taiping or the Red turbans did obliterate tens of millions and destroy much of Chinas earlier art and architecture to create a new society. This seems strange to me, but I have no idea if it might not be true to an extent. How much did such movements desire to destroy all signs of past culture? How destructive were they? (we have decent numbers for the Taiping, but I dont know about White Lotus or Red turbans) I also dont think they exactly aimed at annihilation of people beyond quiet limited groups.

Mar 2019
Kansas
A person rather hostile towards China did make the argument that "The cultural revolution was the norm for China" and that regular millinarian peasant uprisings like the Taiping or the Red turbans did obliterate tens of millions and destroy much of Chinas earlier art and architecture to create a new society. This seems strange to me, but I have no idea if it might not be true to an extent. How much did such movements desire to destroy all signs of past culture? How destructive were they? (we have decent numbers for the Taiping, but I dont know about White Lotus or Red turbans) I also dont think they exactly aimed at annihilation of people beyond quiet limited groups.
Well you really only have two options as a despot. Either obliterate evidence your country was great and prosperous in the past, or find a way to connect your current leadership to that glory from the past

Jul 2019
hongkong
It depends on how you define the event of the Cultural Revolution. If it means destroying ancient culture, it is not a correct argument. the Taiping Heavenly Kingdom does not say that it is to spread Christianity.

The essence of all events is to compete for power. The destruction is a side effect, not a real purpose.

Conclusion: If we define the Cultural Revolution as "Game of Thrones", that is correct.

Similar History Discussions