Historical sources on the martyr Domnio of Salona

May 2011
Rural Australia
I seek to identify the historical sources for
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Domnius

This is supposed to be his tombstone ....

Arheoloski muzej Split

A.D. 304
•Marble
•Size of the fragment: 27 x 11.8 cm

This fragment of the tombstone of St Domnius, who was a bishop and a martyr, represents one of the most significant monuments of Salonitan Christianity. The fragment is a part of an inscribed slab, of which several letters of Domnius' name and the full date of his death have been preserved: 11 April 304.

ABOUT THE COLLECTION

The Epigraphic Collection (collection of inscriptions) is the oldest museum collection that includes monuments originally contained in the Papalic Renaissance collection that was described by Marulic.
Today this collection houses over 6,000 inscriptions, mostly Latin ones. The collection is not displayed as a separate museum collection, but is incorporated in other chronological collections: Graeco-Hellenistic, Roman-Provincial, Early Christian, and Old Croatian. The largest number of inscriptions originate from Salona and are put on view in the Museum collection of stone monuments. Other inscriptions are to be seen in situ in Salona.​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Domnius

Saint Domnius (also known as Saint Dujam or Saint Duje, Saint Domnio, Saint Doimus, or Saint Domninus) was a 3rd-century Bishop of Salona and patron of the city of Split. Salona was a large Roman city serving as capital of the Province of Dalmatia. Today it is located near the city of Split in modern Croatia. Saint Domnius was martyred with seven other Christians in the persecutions of the Emperor Diocletian. He was born in Antioch, in modern-day Turkey but historically in Syria, and beheaded in 304 at Salona.
He was more likely a martyr of the 4th century, but Christian tradition also states that he was one of the Seventy Disciples of the 1st century.[1] This tradition holds that Domnio came to Rome with Saint Peter and was then sent by Peter to evangelize Dalmatia, where he was martyred along with 8 soldiers he had converted.[1]
///
Veneration
His relics were later moved to the Cathedral of Saint Domnius. When Salona was sacked by the Avars and Slavs in the 6th century, the population eventually moved to the nearby Palace of Diocletian, enlarging the nearby city of Split (Spalatum), and establishing it as the successor to Salona. Saint Domnius became the city's patron saint, and the city's cathedral (the Cathedral of Saint Domnius) was built in the mausoleum of Diocletian itself, the emperor who martyred him.
The Basilica of St. John Lateran in Rome claims to own some of Domnio's relics, since Pope John IV, in the 7th century, had requested that relics of a martyr named Domnio be brought to Rome.[1]
[1] Benedictine Monks of St Augustine’s Abbey Ramsgate, The Book of saints:
a dictionary of servants of God (Ramsgate: St. Augustine’s Abbey), 84.

This page: https://orthodoxwiki.org/Diocletianic_Martyrs mentions Domnio of Salona under the heading of "Historical martyrs named to in authentic Acta, semi-historical Acts, or later credible sources"

The task is to identify the earliest literary source for the martyrology of Domnio. If it is not Eusebius, then perhaps it is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martyrologium_Hieronymianum

Any references appreciated.

May 2011
Rural Australia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Saint_Domnius

The Cathedral of Saint Domnius (Croatian: Katedrala Svetog Duje), known locally as the Saint Dujam (Sveti Dujam) or colloquially Saint Duje (Sveti Duje), is the Catholic cathedral in Split, Croatia. The cathedral is the seat of the Archdiocese of Split-Makarska, headed by Archbishop Marin Barišić. The Cathedral of St. Domnius is a complex of a church, formed from an Imperial Roman mausoleum, with a bell tower; strictly the church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and the bell tower to Saint Domnius. Together they form the Cathedral of St. Domnius.
The Cathedral of Saint Domnius, consecrated at the turn of the 7th century AD, is regarded as the oldest Catholic cathedral in the world that remains in use in its original structure, without near-complete renovation at a later date (though the bell tower dates from the 12th century). The structure itself, built in AD 305 as the Mausoleum of Diocletian, is the second oldest structure used by any Christian Cathedral.

///

Name

The cathedral was named after Saint Domnius (Saint Dujam, or Saint Domnius) patron saint of Split, who was a 3rd-century Bishop of Salona. Salona was a large Roman city serving as capital of the Province of Dalmatia. Today it is located near the city of Solin in Croatia. Saint Domnius was martyred with seven other Christians in the persecutions of the Emperor Diocletian. He was born in Antioch, in modern-day Turkey, and beheaded in 304 at Salona

Impressive archaeology but in which martyrology lie the remains of Saint Domnius (also known as Saint Dujam or Saint Duje, Saint Domnio, Saint Doimus, or Saint Domninus) ?

Does anyone happen to know ?

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Lago Maggiore, Italy
I'm Protestant, so that I don't give importance to the tales of saints. You have switched my curiosity on about this. I will try and see if I can find something with a little help from some Catholic friends of mine.

But I can promise nothing.

Similar History Discussions