Historical TV shows

Aug 2015
uk
I don't think you're thinking of reality shows, but I really like the various reality shows put on by PBS and the BBC where modern people try to live like people from different eras (there was a series of House shows...1940's House, Pioneer House, etc). Theres one on Netflix now called "Churchil's Secret Agents where modern people take on the same training (basically) that the British agents who infiltrated Nazi occupied territory did. Not sure which is my fave but I like the genre.
They're fun, but dificult to take too seriously. At the end of training they go back home rather being parachuted into enemy territiry, likely to be captured tortured and executed.

Jun 2018
New York
I liked Vikings, except I never got to season three, I liked what I watched though. In another vein I did not enjoy Knightfall as much as I wished I could. Vikings however is probably one of the most, I guess you could say realistic, depictions of the Viking era on TV. From what I watched I can say that is as true as far as we know, I cannot say anything about season three and on.

Jun 2010
Colorado Springs (PA at heart)
I liked Vikings, except I never got to season three, I liked what I watched though. In another vein I did not enjoy Knightfall as much as I wished I could. Vikings however is probably one of the most, I guess you could say realistic, depictions of the Viking era on TV. From what I watched I can say that is as true as far as we know, I cannot say anything about season three and on.
Knightfall was terrible. I couldn't watch more than a couple episodes. There was just something super cheesy about the music they were using, it made the whole thing feel really hokey - such a disappointment after Vikings. There was just none of the edginess Vikings brought. I guess I should have known better - they might both be on the History channel, but the production companies and writers are completely different. In fact, I just realized Michael Hirst wrote Vikings - of course it was good. He was responsible The Tudors and the Elizabeth movies (Camelot was terrible but otherwise, he's a great writer).

Jun 2018
New York
Knightfall was terrible. I couldn't watch more than a couple episodes. There was just something super cheesy about the music they were using, it made the whole thing feel really hokey - such a disappointment after Vikings. There was just none of the edginess Vikings brought. I guess I should have known better - they might both be on the History channel, but the production companies and writers are completely different. In fact, I just realized Michael Hirst wrote Vikings - of course it was good. He was responsible The Tudors and the Elizabeth movies (Camelot was terrible but otherwise, he's a great writer).
I watched four episodes of Knightfall before I couldn't watch anymore. I liked the main story/mystery but that was getting over shadowed by the terrible romance and pregnancy story-line between the main character and the queen. I also liked the costumes and sets. But the story and characters just did not do it for me. A historical TV show/movie should make the viewers want to know more about what is happening and encourage research of their own, a show does not have to be breaking its back to be as realistic as possible(for me at least) but it needs to be interesting and Knightfall had the potential to be interesting, but a build up of little things I found issue with ruined it. Vikings did much better in that regard.

Sep 2017
United States
I’m surprised nobody has mentioned Rome. While not 100% accurate, it is extremely authentic, really paying attention to the cultures and time period. It’s a little dramatized, but the characters are superbly acted and have amazing dialogue. I’ll never be able to not see Caesar as Ciaran Hinds or Marc Antony as James Purefoy.

The second season is a little rushed, and the Aventine gang subplot isn’t my favorite, but there was supposed to be 5 seasons and they had to basically condense 2, 3, 4, and 5 into a single season.

Really can’t recommend enough though.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I watched four episodes of Knightfall before I couldn't watch anymore. I liked the main story/mystery but that was getting over shadowed by the terrible romance and pregnancy story-line between the main character and the queen. I also liked the costumes and sets. But the story and characters just did not do it for me. A historical TV show/movie should make the viewers want to know more about what is happening and encourage research of their own, a show does not have to be breaking its back to be as realistic as possible(for me at least) but it needs to be interesting and Knightfall had the potential to be interesting, but a build up of little things I found issue with ruined it. Vikings did much better in that regard.
Knightfall made its main character far too unlikeable. I mean, sleeping with your best friend's wife and impregnating her. Then that same wife wants to commit paternity fraud. Why am I supposed to like these people? Add to that Landry being a huge hypocrite. They also absolutely butchered king Philip who was a rather interesting historical figure, and they turned him into this guy who is easily manipulated by diet Littlefinger.

Jun 2018
New York
Knightfall made its main character far too unlikeable. I mean, sleeping with your best friend's wife and impregnating her. Then that same wife wants to commit paternity fraud. Why am I supposed to like these people? Add to that Landry being a huge hypocrite. They also absolutely butchered king Philip who was a rather interesting historical figure, and they turned him into this guy who is easily manipulated by diet Littlefinger.
The only thing I wanted from a show like Knightfall was as accurate a representation of the Templar's we can get at that time (give or take accuracy) I wanted a Grand Master I could like, the moment he slept with the queen and his friends wife I knew I would drop it. That along with every other thing I had a problem with culminated in the Queen aiming to abort the baby (I get it, but it was executed terribly.) The main mystery was interesting enough but everything else seemed to be pushing it aside. Unlikable characters, unlikable sub plots makes an unlikable show.

I really do need to check out Rome when I have the time as well. I've only seen good things said about it.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
The only thing I wanted from a show like Knightfall was as accurate a representation of the Templar's we can get at that time (give or take accuracy) I wanted a Grand Master I could like, the moment he slept with the queen and his friends wife I knew I would drop it. That along with every other thing I had a problem with culminated in the Queen aiming to abort the baby (I get it, but it was executed terribly.) The main mystery was interesting enough but everything else seemed to be pushing it aside. Unlikable characters, unlikable sub plots makes an unlikable show.

I really do need to check out Rome when I have the time as well. I've only seen good things said about it.
Eh, I never expected much. I certainly didn't believe that it would be historically accurate, but what I didn't expect was that they would attempt to make their main character so despicable. I guess that's because they wanted to make everyone "grey", but they went overboard.

Similar History Discussions