Historical TV shows

Sep 2017
United States
The only thing I wanted from a show like Knightfall was as accurate a representation of the Templar's we can get at that time (give or take accuracy) I wanted a Grand Master I could like, the moment he slept with the queen and his friends wife I knew I would drop it. That along with every other thing I had a problem with culminated in the Queen aiming to abort the baby (I get it, but it was executed terribly.) The main mystery was interesting enough but everything else seemed to be pushing it aside. Unlikable characters, unlikable sub plots makes an unlikable show.

I really do need to check out Rome when I have the time as well. I've only seen good things said about it.
Yes, its really quite good. The characters are just for the most part amazingly well written and incredibly well acted.

It's very authentic (not necessarily accurate), and this is coming from someone who can barely watch his favorite movies, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, anymore because his knowledge of history, politics, and warfare make him nitpick 90% of it to death (why can the Rohirrim charge a pike wall and win!?!?!?!?)

Jun 2018
New York
Yes, its really quite good. The characters are just for the most part amazingly well written and incredibly well acted.

It's very authentic (not necessarily accurate), and this is coming from someone who can barely watch his favorite movies, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, anymore because his knowledge of history, politics, and warfare make him nitpick 90% of it to death (why can the Rohirrim charge a pike wall and win!?!?!?!?)
Then I'll have to make some time for it soon.

Also when it comes to fantasy inspired by history I let a lot of things slide. Because it's fantasy and i'm looking for fun, not realism.

Sep 2017
United States
Then I'll have to make some time for it soon.

Also when it comes to fantasy inspired by history I let a lot of things slide. Because it's fantasy and i'm looking for fun, not realism.
I know thats what I should be doing, and the Lord of the Rings is too good in every other aspect that I still love it to death. Its really more of a negative thing about me than a negative thing about fantasy!

The Hobbit however gets nowhere near as much sympathy... you can't get away with the ridiculous fight scenes of the Hobbit without any of the good storytelling, spacing, character development, etc. without it tipping me over the edge :lol:

Jun 2018
New York
I know thats what I should be doing, and the Lord of the Rings is too good in every other aspect that I still love it to death. Its really more of a negative thing about me than a negative thing about fantasy!

The Hobbit however gets nowhere near as much sympathy... you can't get away with the ridiculous fight scenes of the Hobbit without any of the good storytelling, spacing, character development, etc. without it tipping me over the edge :lol:
Where you can see where Lord of the Rings comes from historically in how battles are fought, if only slightly, the Hobbit fails at that. But there will always be LotR's we can go back to

Sep 2017
United States
Where you can see where Lord of the Rings comes from historically in how battles are fought, if only slightly, the Hobbit fails at that. But there will always be LotR's we can go back to
Very true. I’m quite a stickler now but it was at least within reason most of the time. Hey, at least we get to see the Gondorians fight in a true shield wall, unlike whatever that Dwarf thing with the leaping Elves was!

Jun 2018
New York
Very true. I’m quite a stickler now but it was at least within reason most of the time. Hey, at least we get to see the Gondorians fight in a true shield wall, unlike whatever that Dwarf thing with the leaping Elves was!
Hollywood action is what that is. Got to show the elves doing elf like things in battle.

Back on topic are there any other decent historical shows within the medieval time frame. Documentaries are fun and all but you can only binge them so much.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Rome -- is excellent and really worth a watch and a great shame that it never saw a third series.

If you don't mind 'vintage' then 'I Claudius' (and season two 'Claudius the God') is excellent-- its made in the 1970's on a TV budget so don't expect battle scenes or great special effects but the story lines and acting are excellent.

I enjoyed the Last Kingdom -not as good as the books but OK.

Quite enjoyed 'Britannia' -- not sure its history is very accurate (I Claudius is reasonable in that regard).

Jun 2018
New York
Rome -- is excellent and really worth a watch and a great shame that it never saw a third series.

If you don't mind 'vintage' then 'I Claudius' (and season two 'Claudius the God') is excellent-- its made in the 1970's on a TV budget so don't expect battle scenes or great special effects but the story lines and acting are excellent.

I enjoyed the Last Kingdom -not as good as the books but OK.

Quite enjoyed 'Britannia' -- not sure its history is very accurate (I Claudius is reasonable in that regard).
I was watching Last Kingdom when it began airing a few years ago, I liked it enough to make me want to check out the books at some point.

Never heard of I Claudius, probably because it is older, seems interesting. I'll put that up on the list with Rome. Also a show focused on the celts? Can't say I've seen that before. Even if it is more historical fiction it could be worth checking out. Thanks.

May 2011
Navan, Ireland
I was watching Last Kingdom when it began airing a few years ago, I liked it enough to make me want to check out the books at some point..
I enjoyed it -- I had a problem a few years ago-- was reading but couldn't finish anything ( reading history) would get half way through and just get bored.

So went back to what got me (partly) into history in the first place --historical fiction and read the whole of the series ( I had read all of Sharpe when I was younger) they are fun escapism and the history is OK (no better than that I understand).

I actually also liked his 'Warlord' trilogy which was a take on the Arthur legend
Never heard of I Claudius, probably because it is older, seems interesting. .
Really good 1970's series(so be aware its looks dated and low budget comparatively) and there has been a great deal of 'chatter' that HBO will remake it especially as it follows on chronologically from Rome --Augustus is Octavian--Livia is a major character, and Claudius is Mark Anthony's grand son so who knows in the future they may make it.

If you think Game of Thrones was fill of intrigue , back stabbing etc its nothing

Rome is well worth it real shame no third of fourth series -- something I have read HBO regret-- that time frame takes them into....

I'll put that up on the list with Rome. Also a show focused on the celts? Can't say I've seen that before. Even if it is more historical fiction it could be worth checking out. Thanks.

It was interesting and OK don't know if there is to be a second series.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
The Last Kingdom is an excellent series, although not as good as the books. I feel that the actor who pays Uhtred is not quite right. The bloke who plays Ragnar in Vikings looks more as I picture Uhtred.

Similar History Discussions