Historical TV shows

Jun 2018
New York
I enjoyed it -- I had a problem a few years ago-- was reading but couldn't finish anything ( reading history) would get half way through and just get bored.

So went back to what got me (partly) into history in the first place --historical fiction and read the whole of the series ( I had read all of Sharpe when I was younger) they are fun escapism and the history is OK (no better than that I understand).

I actually also liked his 'Warlord' trilogy which was a take on the Arthur legend

Really good 1970's series(so be aware its looks dated and low budget comparatively) and there has been a great deal of 'chatter' that HBO will remake it especially as it follows on chronologically from Rome --Augustus is Octavian--Livia is a major character, and Claudius is Mark Anthony's grand son so who knows in the future they may make it.

If you think Game of Thrones was fill of intrigue , back stabbing etc its nothing

Rome is well worth it real shame no third of fourth series -- something I have read HBO regret-- that time frame takes them into....

It was interesting and OK don't know if there is to be a second series.
Despite being a big fan of the fantasy genre I have never been able to bring myself to get into Game of Thrones.

As for older shows, I've never had a problem with older programs. They have something that i sometimes feel is lost in TV today. Can't really explain what, it must be the ability to have cool looking action scenes. Who knows.

Also doesn't everyone lament the fact that Rome ended in two seasons. Seems everyone agrees it should have been more.

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
Despite being a big fan of the fantasy genre I have never been able to bring myself to get into Game of Thrones.

As for older shows, I've never had a problem with older programs. They have something that i sometimes feel is lost in TV today. Can't really explain what, it must be the ability to have cool looking action scenes. Who knows.

Also doesn't everyone lament the fact that Rome ended in two seasons. Seems everyone agrees it should have been more.
Although it is sad that rome ended in 2 seasons, we did get the spectacle of a show forcing five seasons of work into a 12 episode span. rather amusing.

Apr 2016
Raleigh, NC
If you like foreign TV series, there are two versions of Les Rois Maudits (1973 and 2005), the cursed kings. They're supposed to be pretty accurate historically. I've seen the 2005 version and loved it. The 1973 version is supposed to be even better. In the 1300 c. the French king decided to solve his financial problems by looting the Templars' treasury. As the head of the Templars was being burned at the stake, he cursed the crown. The rest of the series proves that you don't want to be cursed by a head Templar.

Jun 2018
New York
If you like foreign TV series, there are two versions of Les Rois Maudits (1973 and 2005), the cursed kings. They're supposed to be pretty accurate historically. I've seen the 2005 version and loved it. The 1973 version is supposed to be even better. In the 1300 c. the French king decided to solve his financial problems by looting the Templars' treasury. As the head of the Templars was being burned at the stake, he cursed the crown. The rest of the series proves that you don't want to be cursed by a head Templar.
That sounds really interesting. I had heard about the cursed kings thing awhile ago and forgot about that. I don't mind foreign TV, I quite enjoy Arn- The Knight Templar (even if it is a movie and not a show).

Sep 2016
Georgia
Yep, that was Philip IV the Fair. He also expelled the Jews from France in July 1306. With the Jews gone, Philip appointed royal guardians to collect the loans made by the Jews, and the money was passed to the Crown. During his reign the official seat of the papacy moved to Avignon, enclave surrounded by French territories and period of Avignon Papacy begun. It's under his rule that Estates General assembled for the first time. Also he personally led French army in battle against Flemish at Mons-en-Pevele, gaining decisive victory

Similar History Discussions