Historically cosmopolitan regions

Aug 2019
New York
Public beheadings seem like a excellent feature for a cosmopolitan city to have, what brings people together more than watching someone else come apart? Of course people wanted to live in Paris.

Rome and Constantinople were indeed cosmopolitan, and naturally so, since living there meant access to a grain dole, political opportunities, etc. Under the Romans Alexandria (already mentioned) and Antioch were also major hubs of various peoples (Italians, Greeks, Egyptians, Jews, Persians, Palmyrenes, Arabs, Phoenicians, other Aramaic and Aramean speakers, Germanics (as auxiliaries based in Syria), etc.

Ancient Sicily was also highly cosmopolitan: Carthaginians, other Phoenicians, Greeks, Sicels, Sicani, Elymians, and the various peoples stationed there as mercenaries (Campanians, Numidians, Gauls, Iberians, Sardinians, etc).

Oct 2017
America 🇺🇸
I thought that US slaves were largely of West African descent?
West Africa was & still is very diverse as a major region, & few imported slaves also came from East Africa & arabs I recall. It would have been comparable to if peoples from all over Western Europe were captured & enslaved together, & I believe that’s what Romans & Arabs did, though I think many or most of European ethnicities from Roman times have since disappeared or assimilated.

I think colonial American cities were quite cosmopolitan, at least for the era. That was one of the exciting features of the age of Discovery/Exploration, which was precedent to our current cosmopolitanism.