Historiography

Throughout the centuries, historians have debated what is the best way to approach history and historical developments. Many debates about objectivity, the usefulness of written sources, agency vs determinism have come from the different historiographic approaches.

We've had historism, the Annales school and the still very dominant marxist historiography.

Do you favor any specific historiographic approach?

What I'm also wondering myself: marxist historiography has been very dominant in the past decades, but I can't really find out what the alternative was to marxist historiography. Was the ''conservative'' approach simply the alternative to the marxist historians? Is there even a big counterpart of marxist historiography?

Gudenrath

Ad Honorem
May 2012
Denmark
Throughout the centuries, historians have debated what is the best way to approach history and historical developments. Many debates about objectivity, the usefulness of written sources, agency vs determinism have come from the different historiographic approaches.

We've had historism, the Annales school and the still very dominant marxist historiography.

Do you favor any specific historiographic approach?

What I'm also wondering myself: marxist historiography has been very dominant in the past decades, but I can't really find out what the alternative was to marxist historiography. Was the ''conservative'' approach simply the alternative to the marxist historians? Is there even a big counterpart of marxist historiography?
Postmodernism was the big counterpart to the 1970s and 1980s marxist school of history. Positivism as well. Both marxist and postmodernistic schools of thought have been largely abandonded by professional academia, marxist history in the 1990s and postmodernism in 2010. Positivism always seems to have had a small but staunch group of scholars as supporters, although it had its heyday during the late 1800s and early 1900s.

And of course there has been countless other schools than those already mentioned, but I assume you know that.

Oct 2011
the middle ground
I'm with DreamWeaver. There are insights to be found in most approaches to the study of history. When those insights become strait-jackets, it is time to balance them with other approaches.

Aug 2010
Wales
Different schools off thought all have something to offer, something I like to consider and think about and perhaps factor in to my owrk for consideration, but I very much may pick and choose, I dont really nail my colours to a post and subscribe to one in particular. Since while they have a few things I might agree with or lkook at, invariably there is something I do not.

Similar History Discussions