Historum Book Discussion - Reading suggestions!

irishcrusader95

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
Ireland
I'm always up for a bit of Dostoevsky .. and Thoreau's essay looks manageably short.
sounds great:)
it would be really great to be able to discuss it as i have found that from reading crime and punishment there is so many different perceptions people can be left with on reading it and a near endless amount of hidden meanings.

Gile na Gile

Ad Honorem
May 2008
Fireland
sounds great:)
it would be really great to be able to discuss it as i have found that from reading crime and punishment there is so many different perceptions people can be left with on reading it and a near endless amount of hidden meanings.
I'll talk Dostoevsky till the cows come home :) - it'll take a while to read the Idiot though so let's give ourselves plenty of time. In the meantime you could always chip in on Blacksmith's thread;

http://www.historum.com/historum-book-discussion/26656-crime-punishment-fyodor-dostoevsky.html

We could blather about C&P for a few weeks until the Idiot is ripe and ready. Whady'a reckon?

Patito de Hule

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Been at least 20 years since I read Идиот, but I loved it. About all I remember is Myshkin means mousey. Also epilepsy had pretty much the same stereotypes in Europe at the time as it had here. I'll see if I can find time to reread it--I'm more into Progressive era stuff now.

Pedro, are you going to schedule Civil Disobedience or would you like me to just do it?

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Civil Disobedience.? OK. Why don't you get with Avon on that and I'll go along with whatever. (just to suck him in. lol) The more lead time the better for me. I am up to my ears with stuff and need to budget time in the coming month. I wouldn't mind doing the intro if no one else wants to.

irishcrusader95

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
Ireland
I'll talk Dostoevsky till the cows come home :) - it'll take a while to read the Idiot though so let's give ourselves plenty of time. In the meantime you could always chip in on Blacksmith's thread;

http://www.historum.com/historum-book-discussion/26656-crime-punishment-fyodor-dostoevsky.html

We could blather about C&P for a few weeks until the Idiot is ripe and ready. Whady'a reckon?
i'm well into the Idiot now so if you want to set up a discussion for when your ready that would be great.

irishcrusader95

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
Ireland
i recently read Candide by Voltaire and think it would make for a good discussion. its a philosophical novel that's about optimism and at only 118 pages really wouldn't take all that long to read. i can tell you anyway that on reading it i certainly look at things in the world a lot differently and may have even taken to Dr. Pangloss's philosophies so that when misfortune now strikes me i tend to say "all is for the better".