Historum Book Discussion - Reading suggestions!

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
i recently read Candide by Voltaire and think it would make for a good discussion. its a philosophical novel that's about optimism and at only 118 pages really wouldn't take all that long to read. i can tell you anyway that on reading it i certainly look at things in the world a lot differently and may have even taken to Dr. Pangloss's philosophies so that when misfortune now strikes me i tend to say "all is for the better".
http://www.historum.com/historum-book-discussion/11543-voltaire-candide.html

irishcrusader95

Ad Honorem
Aug 2010
Ireland
ok so i have another suggestion and this time i did a search so i know there's no thread on it. the book is called 'Germinal' by Emile Zola. published in 1885 it has been called Zola's masterpiece and is an incredible story of a strike by miners in northern france who seek better pay and conditions from the wretched conditions they are forced to live in my the money grubbing fat cats. i'll be finishing it soon but i definitely recommend it to all others here as its just an amazing story of hardship, suffering, love and the willingness to sacrifice ones self for an idea.
[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Germinal-Penguin-Classics-%C3%89mile-Zola/dp/0140447423/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334613529&sr=1-1"]Germinal (Penguin Classics): Amazon.co.uk: Émile Zola, Roger Pearson: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CTuV4lzXL.@@AMEPARAM@@41CTuV4lzXL[/ame]

Jul 2012
Just read "The Last Days of the Romanovs: Tragedy at Ekaterinburg"
Awesome telling, in great detail. (Love these kind of books that go into depth on the small little stories)

Hellen Rappaport does a good job structuring the book and descriping the inner feelings of the family.

-Been getting re interested in Russian History. Now moving back to The French Revolution and Napoleon... any book suggestions on that one?

Jun 2010
Washington State USA
ok so i have another suggestion and this time i did a search so i know there's no thread on it. the book is called 'Germinal' by Emile Zola. published in 1885 it has been called Zola's masterpiece and is an incredible story of a strike by miners in northern france who seek better pay and conditions from the wretched conditions they are forced to live in my the money grubbing fat cats. i'll be finishing it soon but i definitely recommend it to all others here as its just an amazing story of hardship, suffering, love and the willingness to sacrifice ones self for an idea.
Germinal (Penguin Classics): Amazon.co.uk: Émile Zola, Roger Pearson: Books
For those that prefer ebooks this book can be found here Germinal by mile Zola - Free eBook in various ebook formats.

Nov 2012
USA
Anyone interested in crime solving in the Roman Empire ought to check out this author Ruth Downey. Rich in historic details and a great story line too.
Medicus, Caveat Emptor, Persona Non Grata, Semper Fidelis The last one is currently on pre-order.
Ruth Downie - Barnes & Noble

Nov 2012
Earth
Another great Roman mystery series of books are the falco novels by mindset Davis. Although I have no idea how accurate they are if that is something that matters. But they are a great read.
V.

R5 plus

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
Home of Ringing Rocks
I posted this on another thread and thought it should be added here, too. Sorry for any repeats. The OP was looking for books on the Golden Age of Sail.

To Rule the Waves by Arthur Herman, about the RN and how it shaped the modern world.

The War for all the Oceans by Roy & Leslie Adkins, "from Nelson at the Nile to Napoleon at Waterloo."

Patriot Pirates by Robert H. Patton, about the American privateers during the Revolutionary War

The Circumnavigators by Derek Wilson, covering exploration by sea 1500 - 1918.

Fighting Techniques of Naval Warfare, 1190BC - Present by Iain Dickie, Martin J. Dougherty, Phyllis G. Jestice, Christer Jorgensen, Rob S. Rice, just got this one at B&N, haven't read it yet.

Female Tars by Suzanne J. Stark, women in different roles on RN ships.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Pirates by Gail Selinger with W. Thomas Smith, Jr., includes information about privateering during the Revolutionary War and dealing with Barbary pirates when Jefferson was president.

Also, I really like the DK Eyewitness Books for a variety of subjects. They are children's books, however, they have lots of photographs and interesting explanations without all the words to get in the way. My computer's running slow, so I don't remember the exact title, but they definitely have (at least) one to do with ships during the Golden Age of Sail.

Oct 2013
Virginia
I want to read that, but it looks,.... a little violent. What is it about?
I have heared about it, it's about a roman millitary doctor. Something I find interesting.